Large Scale Central

LGB

Hi Guys,

Just looking on Model Railroad Hobby Magazine MRHMAG.com On page 11-12 they say LGB is making models of Jupiter & UP#19 in large scale. Does anyone else have any info on this??

Chuck

https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/lgb/lgb-29000-golden-spike-steam-locomotive-set-w-mfx-dcc-sound-advanced-payment-required-with-separate-shipping-determined-later/

One-time series in 2019 on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad in the USA - worldwide limited to 299 pieces.

Set of two steam locomotives, as they were at the opening of the first transcontinental railroad in the United States.
Execution, coloring and lettering corresponding to the two replicas

• Union Pacific RR locomotive “119” and
  • Central Pacific RR loco “Jupiter”
    as they are still in service at the Promontory Summit memorial in Utah.

Price: $9,899.99

seeing these gave me one of the seldom moments, when i would like to be a cheque-book modeler…

Sure would be nice to put one of them there telegraph poles on my layout.

For that kind of $$ do they ship with a real gold spike?

Dan Pierce said:

my estimated guess would be, that a solid golden spike of that size would be between $20,000 and 40,000 - without the locos…

Korm Kormsen said:

Dan Pierce said:

my estimated guess would be, that a solid golden spike of that size would be between $20,000 and 40,000 - without the locos…

Ah, but is scale you can get one of 18 karat gold for around $50.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Why 299 pieces? why not a round number like, oh, 300?

David Maynard said:

Why 299 pieces? why not a round number like, oh, 300?

QC dept believes that one is always flaky?

Actually, I suspect it is 299 available for sale, and 300 made. The other 1 is in the corporate museum.

I don’t know if they’re worth ten grand or not, but if I had that kind of money to throw around, I’d call it close enough and buy 'em.

The problem is I’d have to spend more to get a certain friend to convert them to onboard power, unless he needs more painting, in which case we can trade and the ten grand wouldn’t seem so bad after all.

Converting to onboard power is the best thing I ever did because it keeps me from buying new locomotives.

John Passaro said:

Converting to onboard power is the best thing I ever did because it keeps me from buying new locomotives.

Boy, I wish I could say that. I have 4 locos now waiting for conversion. One is a Connie that has been torn down for years in the middle of a bash, and yet, when geared locomotives come up at a good price, I buy. One NIB in the attic and another NOSh (New on Shelf:) in the layout room. Sure wish I could find someone that is moving on from my chosen R/C system so I could buy more. I really don’t want to start over :frowning:

John Passaro said:

I don’t know if they’re worth ten grand or not

Wonder what LGB Superliners or Viewliners bring these days ?

Wow - There’s sure a lot of emotions being expressed by some on this topic. If I won the lotto, I’d buy this set since I’m a big fan of the Gold Spike event and I love those locos. One of these sets sold on eBay recently for $6500 so not quite as bad as the $10,000 being thrown around. I, however, don’t believe in criticizing people who want to spend their money on whatever they like, whether it’s hobby locomotives, automobiles, houses, boats, any luxury item. Just my two bits.

Very impressive! Enjoyed the video! Not my part of the hobby, but very impressive! Thank you for sharing.

Ric Golding said:

Very impressive! Enjoyed the video! Not my part of the hobby, but very impressive! Thank you for sharing.

Hi Ric - Were you referring to one of my videos, or someone else’s video? If mine, which one. And what’s your hobby method, battery power?

Tom

I go away for a few days…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

If I had those models I would soon have them weathered, with grease and oil dripping off and out everywhere. But I won’t have to worry with those models as I really don’t care for that period of time in steam engines, looks like I just saved myself another $6500, or whatever they can be purchased for. Become a modeler and save yourself a lot of money, buy cheap stuff and re-built it to junk status. I know when I joined this forum that I would be in the minority as a modeler, but that’s ok as I to once was a collector, but thank goodness I can to my senses, sold it and was happy ever after. Hay, we all do what works for us, so keep doing what works for you, I understand your passion for the hobby, we all do what works for us.

trainman

I hear ya, John L.

The first decision I made when I got into the hobby is that I didn’t want any locomotive or cars so expensive that if my kids or their friends broke them while playing with them I’d have some kind of fit. It’s a hobby and to me a hobby is enjoyable, not nervewracking because, for instance, somebody isn’t running at prototypical speeds or purposes, like my daughter’s pink ballast, Barbie transport gondola, and 1:12 scale dollhouse at the end of the spur.

I also decided early on that if I wanted to be a collector, I’d get into something that would have a better chance to appreciate in value over time at a rate that outpaces a normal safe investment…and I’m not sure that’s g-scale model trains!

Occre models make a really nice model of both Jupiter and 119, they’re static and require a bit of patience to build but if display the can’t be beat for $250 each.

Wow, everyone take a break, and calm the heck down. Cleaning up the thread…