Forums Modeling Modeling
  • Topic: M&K Sugar Mill

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 25, 2020 4:58 PM EDT
      • People's Republic Of Maryland, USA

• Thanks

You're doing tremendous work Eric, I'm looking forward to your further efforts on your mill, it's looking very cool.

I love your involving the whole family in your projects, that's so great to see.

• July 3, 2020 8:10 PM EDT
      • Kailua, HI

• Thanks

Update:

I received my hot knife and new guide.  I carefully set up my work area, counterbalancing the foam with a calibrated coconut:

Despite my tropical counterweight, I still managed to bump the foam, jam the knife into the bench, bend said knife, and get a carefully randomized squiggle:

Despite myself, all four walls are cut and even reasonably square.  They'll do for the core of the mill building.  I placed one end wall for a final size check:

Tomorrow we celebrate our Independence, so progress will stop.  The next step is to glue the walls together, cut the 2x4 braces for the corners, and mount the lot to the backerboard.  After that, it'll go back on the railroad to revalidate the unloader shed design and for  more out-building brainstorming.  This whole thing is becoming a series of projects within projects, which is fine.

To all my fellow American citizens and residents...Happy Fourth of July!  To everyone else, have a wonderful weekend!

Eric

• July 13, 2020 2:57 AM EDT
      • Kailua, HI

• Thanks

Update:

Our card reader broke, so no pictures to prove it, but work continued this weekend.

Saturday, I test fit my foam walls.  Even by my standards, it wasn't going to work!  I found my template for the rook peak, taped it to a wall, then taped the walls together, and sliced away.  I didn't even to have to use the calibrated coconut for this one! Similar hot-knife work went into the walls.  Then, it was a matter of taking some shishkabob skewers, cutting them into thirds, and driving them through the foam to hold everything together while the glue set.  Today, I returned to the foam core to add more glue fillets.  

Today, my old nemesis, "Jigsaw," came out for the first time since the Mik challenge with the 2x4.  In fact, the remnants of same-said 2x4 came out of the shed.  I had to use "Jigsaw" to cut open a soda syrup barrel we are using as a rain catchment, and figured, as long as the thing was out of the closet, I might as well see if I can cut a straight line.   Nope.   I measured, measured again, then measured, braced the 2x4 on a low picnic table, lined up the blade on the line, and still botched it.  I am not sure by what laws of alchemy a straight metal blade cuts at an angle relative to the vertical, but clearly I have to either a.) find the correct incantation, or b.) keep practicing.  Despite myself, I ended up with four 14" lengths of lumber that will serve as braces in each corner.  Ultimately, I plan to use deck screws to hold the mill to the backerboard base. I plan to drill tap holes in the backerboard, then use a drill to anchor those 2x4s with deck screws.  We'll see...

Speaking of backerboard, I opted to snap it just shy of the loading / empties track.  I had thought to use it as a base all the way across that part of the garden for the engine service track and the mainline station area, but that would've made this project unwieldly.  It's big enough as it is!  The backerboard got a coat of water sealer as a precaution (need to get more; one spray can was insufficient).  It also got pencil markings for the mill location and the various tracks.  More fiddling and sketching again proved that this project is as much a landscaping project as a modeling project!

The next step after I get the core mounted is the roof.  I think I am going to use plastic sheet as it is light, usually available, should add rigidity, and because, why not try something new? The only drawback I see would be interior access, but, as I don't intend to detail the inside, I am not sure this is an issue.   I can always add an access panel to the mauka (mountain facing) side.  Most of the mills had a top structure, presumably for ventilation and lighting.  I also plan to run the stack through the roof, rather than having an external boiler building.  This is an issue of space. Sure glad I test fit everything one more time!  Once I am at this stage (hopefully sooner rather than later!), I feel comfortable ordering the siding.   

I had a some thoughts on the unloader area, but I'll save you from them until I have the photos.  I am finding the constraints of space and the desire to present a logical work flow in my stylized mill are presenting some intriguing design challenges that, while creating delays, are actually rather fun to work through.  

Pictures to come.  

Have a great week!

Eric

• July 13, 2020 9:02 PM EDT
      • Kenai, Alaska

• Thanks

the key with 'jigsaws' is a 'jig' or 'guide' affixed to the object you are cutting.  As to the angle bit...check the bottom and find the relevant Allan wrench.

• July 14, 2020 8:44 PM EDT
      • Peoria, NW of Phoenix, Arizona

• Thanks

Eric if you have a square of some sort place it in the bottom plate, and if it’s like my old one there is a wing nut on the end to adjust to where the blade is square to the base, or check the blade and make sure it’s not bent from the base of the blade where it conneats to the saw. 

Butt Modeler #2

Forums Modeling Modeling

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google