Large Scale Central

AML Truck to Body mount coupler conversion

I HAD standardized on the #1 kadee couplers. But, recently I have been reconsidering this decision due to possible reliability issues, compatibility with club members and cost to outfit my considerable fleet of rolling stock.

I really like the AML 1:29 scale couplers with their prototypical knuckle and the possibility of using operating cut levers. Most of my AML cars were purchase used and only have the truck mounted version and I definitely want body mount. Rather than buy the body mount ones, I’ve designed a conversion box. What do y’all think? Anyone done this before?

-Dan

Shown with the AML body mount version. The conversion box is about 4.5mm longer but won’t be a problem for the hoppers.

I will take the used #1’s off your plate…

Do whatever floats your boat. Make conversion cars until,you complete the whole fleet?

Nice job on the adaptor box. But isn’t that a Bachmann knuckle?

I really like the AML 1:29 scale couplers with their prototypical knuckle

Dan, some years ago I bought 4 or 5 pairs of the AML 1/29th body-mount couplers for about $5 each pair. I never did use them so they are sitting waiting for someone to take them off my hands!

On your custom boxes; you could cut off the blob on the end of the spring and print pins on either side or bars on the end face of the box.

Pete Thornton said:

Nice job on the adaptor box. But isn’t that a Bachmann knuckle?

Thanks Pete. The Bachmann’s are bigger.

John Caughey said:

On your custom boxes; you could cut off the blob on the end of the spring and print pins on either side or bars on the end face of the box.

Great idea John! Then I could shorten it! Last night after posting this I thought about how to make it narrower and came up with this.

Hi Dan,

You did an excellent, thoughtful adaptation of the AML coupler used on the trucks for body mounting. Is the yellow resin friendly to be painted?

In a bag within the box the AML car comes in, AML typically supplies body mount couplers, including its coupler box that resembles Kadee 830 or 906 types. The AML knuckle is the same as the AML truck mount, but its shank is different. Both have an offset knuckle with respect to their shanks - unlike Kadee 830 / 906 types which are centerset.

When body mounting an AML knuckle coupler, one thing to contend with is this knuckle offset.
If using a coupler height from the railhead standard (like the Kadee 880/980 “G” gauge), locating body mounted AML couplers to conform to the standard will be a bit different than Kadees, particularly if mixing rolling stock having 1/29 scale AML & Kadees.

The truck mount coupler version is illustrated below.

When comparing an AML body mount type coupler to the Kadee 830, differences can be seen below.

Note that the AML box and coupler shank are thinner than respective Kadee parts, and couplers are not centerset but have that upward offset, shown inverted above.

-Ted

Ted Doskaris said:

Hi Dan,

You did an excellent, thoughtful adaptation of the AML coupler used on the trucks for body mounting. Is the yellow resin friendly to be painted?

Thanks Ted! It’s not resin, It’s PETg filament that I happen to have loaded right now. I will probably print them in black.

In a bag within the box the AML car comes in, AML typically supplies body mount couplers, including its coupler box that resembles Kadee 830 or 906 types. The AML knuckle is the same as the AML truck mount, but its shank is different. Both have an offset knuckle with respect to their shanks - unlike Kadee 830 / 906 types which are centerset.

When body mounting an AML knuckle coupler, one thing to contend with is this knuckle offset.
If using a coupler height from the railhead standard (like the Kadee 880/980 “G” gauge), locating body mounted AML couplers to conform to the standard will be a bit different than Kadees, particularly if mixing rolling stock having 1/29 scale AML & Kadees.

Yes. I have noticed my “new” cars have both sets and the shank is much thicker and both are offset.

Thanks for pointing this out however, I do not use the “height” end of the coupler gauge and instead align the centers of the couplers. I just reprint the box lid with the appropriate thickness.

I’ve found the Kadee Type E’s mate really well with the AML’s so when a shorter shank is required I’ll use these.

Version 2.1 with “Caughey pins”

Following