Large Scale Central

Kadee Body Mount Couplers

Hi all, has anyone installed Kadee body mount couplers on the Bachmann Jackson Sharp passenger cars? If so which coupler did you use? Did it require any special modification?

Thanks Steve

Steve, are these cars Big Hauler or Spectrum cars? If they are Spectrum cars, the Kadee G scale couplers should be a direct swap. I have done a bunch of research here and from what I can tell the Bachmann Spectrum coupler boxes are a direct copy of Kadee’s. If they are Big Hauler, it will require some various thickness of styrene/abs plactic to make mounting shims that will need to be glued in place. I recommend determining the size and thickness of the shim, assembling the shim on the bench. I drill and tap the shim for a #2-56 screw on both center line screws. I have not done any Big Hauler passenger equipment yet so I can’t tell you if you will need to do any selective surgery on the end beams. I highly recommend getting the appropriate gauge from Kadee. I don’t use the #1 couplers, I found them to be too fragile for the usage my rolling stock endures.

Steve Mitchell said:

Hi all, has anyone installed Kadee body mount couplers on the Bachmann Jackson Sharp passenger cars? If so which coupler did you use? Did it require any special modification?

Thanks Steve

Yes …820 or 830