Large Scale Central

Beating the COVID Boredum-Devon style

So I probably should participate in my own idea. So I have been wanting a railtruck and Jim R’s got the juices flowing. I have a small diecast JC Pennies bank Model T delivery. I am using a New Bright truck side frames and wheels for the front. They are a nice small size. I also robbed a drive motor and wheels from one of my lil big haulers.

I am having to do some major carving on the frame and body to fit the motor and drivers.

That will be cool. Track power?

Jim Rowson said:

That will be cool. Track power?

Nope, It is going to be RC/Battery. But It may have to pull a trailer, lol. Well no maybe about it It WILL have to have a trailer. There will be no room for electronics. But that’s okay I don’t mind it pulling a trailer. Its totally whimsy anyway. I am hoping it can run on 9v batteries. I have a small Viper ESC from Tony at RCS-Australia and I think it will run on 9v just fine as long as the motor does.

A trailer eh? That will be entertaining!

One of the main things I want is an aooga horn. And yes, I am that immature…

To be consistent I am going airwire… but my truck will be much beefier than yours. Different strokes!

Instead of a trailer, how about a push cart out front, with 2 track men looking for missing spikes or ripe road apples …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

John,

that would be funny especially if the front two wheels were off the track like they just got hit and were being pushed too fast.

Jim,

This rail truck has a secret theme. And beefier wouldn’t fit. For what i have in mind this little truck is perfect. But thats a big motor anyway and a small place to put electronics. I already have the RCS stuff from the loco I robbed this motor from. But a little trailer will add to the whimsy of it all.

Well I am bailing on this project at least for now. The car is just to small and the motor just to big and its not going to work out the way I want. So I am going back to working on my locomotive.

Here dies this thread.

Sorry, Devon!

Well at first I was envious of the motor and drive you liberated, but my Mack pick 'em up truck has less room.

All the low voltage hobby motors are high RPM jobbers, so after seeing a pinion gear drive. I thunked that maybe a worm drive could take up some RPMs and slow my beastie to a fast walk.

Check it out for me ok?

The car is just to small and the motor just to big and its not going to work out the way I want.

Hey, Devon - I’ve still got this rig from my Doozie experiment. No use to me.

Pete Thornton said:

The car is just to small and the motor just to big and its not going to work out the way I want.

Hey, Devon - I’ve still got this rig from my Doozie experiment. No use to me.

Hey that would work way better. If you want to part with it I’d love to play with it. Where did you come up with it or did you make it?

Well after thinking on this and with Pete’s offer to part with that little motor block I might be back in business. I also got to thinking that I might be able to replace the drives on the current motor block and that would help.

My problem is two fold. First the gauge of the wheels falls in a terrible spot and the flanges fall basically at the body line. I started cutting and filing the framing to fit the motor and wheel and was successful only to find that the body also needs to be cut out. If you are a hot rodder think tubbing the tires. I need to tub this in order to get those big drivers in there. So not only is the model too narrow but also doesn’t have the wheel well depth it needs. Just not the right motor/driver combo for this model.

Now what I had originally planned when I got this little model was a much smaller drive wheel on like a flea drive. Pete’s is about perfect for what I originally was thinking. But now I am wondering if I can take off the drivers from my current motor and put on another set of wheels a set of spoked ones would be great.

The other issue is still the size of the motor itself. It does fit up inside the body now that I have opened it up. But still leave no room for anything else, hence the trailer idea. I am not at all against the trailer and no matter what might include it as a novelty but even with Petes little motor i won’t have room for electronics and batteries so I am thinking a trailer is a must.

Airstream

Ha that might be fun. Maybe not exactly the right era but this is whimsical anyway. I might have to give this one some thought.

Thanks to Pete this project has be resuscitated and is breathing again. Thanks Pete