Large Scale Central

USAT Heavyweights-Easy closer coupling

If you want closer coupling on your new USAT heavyweights, here is a 5 minute conversion. The couplers are attached to the car with a bracket that has four screws. I simply removed the bracket and moved it back one screw hole and reattached. Then drilled two new holes for the rear screws. This will move the coupler back 5/16". It can only be done to one end of each car. Doing both would require modification to the diaphragms. The consist would need to be pretty much the same every time to keep one standard and one modified coupler together. I only have five cars so it is not a problem. I tested this conversion on about a 6’ radius in my staging yard without a problem. They run flawlessly on the layout. Here are before and after photos.

That really looks good. Later RJD

What’s the minimum radius needed for the conversion?

Steve,

I did test them on about a 6’ radius. That worked ok. Any less then that I don’t know. It is an easy conversion that can be tried by just moving the coupler back and only using two screws to attach the bracket. If it works then all is well. If not just put it back to the original screw holes.