Forum Sponsorsss

Forums General Track and Trestles
  • Topic: Ringbalin Light Railway

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 12, 2021 1:10 AM EST
      • Kailua, HI

• Thanks

Selfishly, I am voting for the m2076, as it may inform our own project.  Starting with just the shell, a year or so ago, and with a kind parts donation from Rooster, we brought one back to life by marrying it to a STAINZ as you may recall:

I am eyeballing a battery-powered chassis from Smallbrook studios for a go at our next one.  We've gotten a bit better at modeling, and I am anxious to see what "Round Two" could produce!  Need the overtime, first, to get that chassis!

Eric

• January 12, 2021 4:52 AM EST
      • Bundaberg, Queensland Australia

• Thanks

I started dismantling the side rod diesel because it should be the easiest (famous last words???)

All the is required is bit of a dismantle and a repaint to get it looking like an Australian sugar cane diesel, what problems could that throw up????? 

As all the electronics have fallen in a heap after the double sided tape failed, I am treating this as a deep level maintenance task, repairing any faults plus the respray.

The 2076 is shaping up to be a total rewire with R/C and sound and a body configuration change.

The Garrett is sitting in the "it's too hard" basket till I get a "roundtoit"

When the weather cools off later the sugar mill will be the main focus but that will be a major job that I will throw all resources at.

For battery power why not just re wire the chassis you have, its not that hard all you really need is some side cutters, a soldering iron and a few bits to cross to the dark side of battery R/C young padawan.

On my blog is the build log of how I did the stainz, all conversions are basically the same its just the body shape that varies. 

The dark side calls  

• January 12, 2021 5:21 AM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Howzat?

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• January 12, 2021 2:25 PM EST
      • Bundaberg, Queensland Australia

• Thanks

Ken Brunt said:

Howzat?

Thanks looks like I now have to think of another excuse to leave it on the shelf 

This post was edited by GAP at January 12, 2021 2:26 PM EST
    • January 12, 2021 5:15 PM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• January 13, 2021 12:21 AM EST
      • Kailua, HI

• Thanks

GAP,

I should be more clear.  The picture above was something we brought back from the dead already.  That 2075 shell (Komaka Iki / Little Thomas)  was from an LGB battery powered set I got in 1976 that I played to death by 1980!  

The next 2075 shell in line is from a similar LGB battery-powered set the crew recieved in 2015.  It never worked well.  It barely has the torque to pull the thing through a curve.  The IR controller gave out in ~6 months.  The motor took on the bad habit of dislodging istelf.  The loco limped along about 5 years, in and out of service, as I fiddled to keep the motor in place.  To be fair, this set was probably never designed for more than a few trips around the tree each year, but, still... Anyway, this is the one that will get a battery powered chassis.  

Eric

Forums General Track and Trestles

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google