Large Scale Central

Hartland Sparky Painting & Modding

Greetings forum-goers! As of recent months, I've learned of and read about at least three different electrified/interurban operations that once existed within a few miles here in my area of Arvada, (Northwestern Denver) and as such, the interest in electric motive power has been slowly growing, culminating in the acquisition of this little red beastie, being a Hartland (HLW) "Sparky" two-axle trolley-pole steeple-cab electric.

After several periods of run-time in stock condition, it was time to get rid of that bright plastic sheen and conflicting roster number. I also happened upon this image of an early-era 4 axle electric B&O locomotive sporting oil box headlamps, and as a box-headlamp-fiend, I was swiftly sold on the appearance.

After purchasing LED bulbs from OnlyTrains and spare box headlamps and #2 number plates from Bachmann Parts, it was time for disassembly and painting of a slightly darker red, as well as turning the cab roof black. Of interest is the original headlight bars used to hold the cab roof on, as well as providing a weak source of transferred illumination...

These were cut shorter, painted black and now sport the appearance of screen-covered horns tucked into bezels, simulating bi-directional horn honking that the model originally lacked. The rest of the cab and hoods received the aforementioned red spray-paint. Very similar to the original plastic color, but with less shine.

Lights and detail bits arrived and saw test fitting. First glances at a final appearance happened here, as well as at least two evenings of head-scratching wiring, and realizing at 3am that Light-Emitting-Diodes are already diodes by design, polarity sensitive, and thereby made the installation of directional lighting much easier than initially expected. The cab interior light however had to see a reversion to an incandescent bulb that cares not for polarity or direction.

Of additional interest is the brass rod holding a light up high for the cab interior. This was inevitably trimmed shorter to clear the hardware holding the trolley pole on. Several holes were drilled in a variety of places and parts for wire lead passages, and after a day or so of spray-paint drying time, the first slatherings of drybrushed weathering were applied, and then overlaid with additional red paint to tone it down.

The journal boxes/lids were painted a reddish Russet color, and give an illusion of being painted by the builder, only to now be greasy and dull.

Several parts have returned to their places after sealing with the standard coatings of Krylon Matte Finish, and a final round of wiring, screwing and gluing followed hours after the finish dried.

Complete, and rather boxy.

Crimson 'Sparky' Buzzbox Electriclok #2 in service with Hartland Mini rolling stock.

LED headlights are nice and bright and do their job well.

...Which includes functioning directionally, as intended.

Running with slightly larger 2-axle Bachmann stock.

Overall, after a long delay of actual work on the model, I am very pleased with how the modifications and paint turned out, and can honor local history a little with some electric traction. The locomotive has the usual Hartland motor block which pulls very well for its simplicity and lack of traction tires, and looks good at the head end of a wide variety of equipment, which gives it an A+ in my book.

Best,

~ Nick

This is a nice project. Yes, Hartland’s Mack/Sparky is a good, solid, reliable, G scale locomotive.

Last image does have a New England interurban short line look to it.