Large Scale Central

Modern freight car build

Maybe by starting this thread it will give me a kick in the a$$ to finish these two freight cars. They are different variations of the woodchip cars I built a couple of years ago . Still operated by Bill Frank Trucking (BFTX) , they look like they were made from modified bulkhead flat cars . The models start as a piece of .060 plastic 60 scale feet long and 9 scale feet wide. After they are done they will be 10 feet wide. A piece of 1/8 " thick aluminum is JB welded to the plastic floor . The bolsters are made from plastic and aluminum laminated with a 1/4 " hole drilled through it to accept a 1/4" plastic tube and 4-40 screw. If you followed my other builds it’s the same technique . This car will be a little different than any of the others as I will try to make the big flat sides look wavy from welding the panels together. I have a idea how I will do this but we’ll see. Here are some pictures as of today .I have to admit i’ve been losing some interest in building train models . I found a new love (hobby) that took up alot of my time since July of last year. I purchased a new E-BIKE in July of 2019 and rode it over 460 miles going down trails I never would have before. Love it ! Anyway back to the trains cuz its winter.

Looking forward to seeing this go together! The latest Model Railroad Magazine has a flatcar build and by looking at your builds and the MR build is giving me thoughts about trying a flatcar, or center bulkhead or a chip car. Get to work Mike!!

Using JB weld I glued the center sill beam in place . Next i’ll add automotive wheel weights and BB’s to add weight . The sill cover will be .030 plastic.

Here’s a better picture of the car i’m making.

I like it ! Looks like you’ve dabbled in the world of graffiti some too. The T in rooster caught my eye right away.

Today T attached with MEK the sides of the car using .060 sheet a scale 60 feet long by 18 inches high. Then I epoxied automotive wheel weights and BB’s inside the bottom sill beam. Here are a couple more pictures.

mike dorsch said:

I like it ! Looks like you’ve dabbled in the world of graffiti some too. The T in rooster caught my eye right away.

Note that car is headed west at high speed distorting the t

mike dorsch said:

This car will be a little different than any of the others as I will try to make the big flat sides look wavy from welding the panels together. I have a idea how I will do this but we’ll see.

I love BFTX short tag!

Looks good Rooster , I was gonna experiment with slow set epoxy very thinly squeegeed onto the sheet plastic and then laminating aluminum foil over that . How did you do yours ?

Sanded some spots down (divots) and heavy coats of paint.

I am going to do some experimenting on some scrap plastic . I will definitely try your method too. I have been concerned the aluminum foil method might be prone to ripping if mishandled or in a derailment . We’ll see , maybe the epoxy when cured will make it durable.

Very nice, Mike. The frame of my flanger is loaded down with shot just like your boxcar.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt ! The shot filled in the voids between the auto wheel weights real good. These cars will track well for sure . These two cars will also be using Kadee’s metal trucks . I’m very pleased with them so far and their heavy too . Because the trucks on this car are so close to the ends I had to modify the Kadee coupler box to allow the trucks to swing more. I only had to cut up the bottom of the Kadee box. I mounted the couplers with two 4-40 screws after drilling and tapping the aluminum strip. I had to shim the couplers down .060 cuz they were too high. I also finished closing up the bottom sill beam and used .015 plastic instead of the .030 I mentioned earlier. Off to my local hobby shop next to pick up some more Evergreen plastic shapes and get started on the bottom . Thanks for following along !

mike,

i am very much enjoying the build

What would you estimate the final weight of one of your build?

many thanks

Looking good Mike. Thanks for the detailed info on how you’re building it. Excited to see more.

Thanks John and Eric for following along ! I weighted the car as it is right now and it tipped the scale at 3 lbs 3 1/2 oz .

I know this is late, but what was that car used for? Does the side flip up with/without the top?

Greg

Wood chips, Greg.

Some woodchip cars have a door on the “A” end, others have rotary couplers and are dumped via a rotary dumper. The cars with a door are unloaded with a front end loader…

That said, the proto photo looks like scrap steel service not wood chips.