Large Scale Central

BC Rail Difco

I’ve been requisitioning equipment for the work train, and one of the cars delivered was a BC Rail Difco air dump. I think it will look good next to the ballast car.

Kadee trucks were too big, but I got a pair of USA Trains trucks to fit.

Shane

What was “too big” on the Kadee trucks, I understand they are 1:29 also.

Nice looking car!

Greg

Hi Greg,

The Kadees were making contact with the bottom and center of the car. The trucks I used gave me about 1/16" of clearance. Luckily the base is metal, so there is no flex, allowing for minimal clearance. The car is 1/32, but I think it passes for 1/29 with the new trucks and couplers.

Shane

Shane,

Nice looking car.

Greg,

I don’t have any Kadee trucks to measure but I do know that the USA Bettendorf trucks are small for 1/29. They measure 5’ 3" axle to axle. Should be 5 ‘6" for 50T car or 5’ 8" for 70T car with 33" wheels. Maybe the USA trucks are a throwback to before they made 1/29 and they just reused them from previous models. A Aristo Bettendorf truck measures to about 5’ 8".

Shane

Where did the car come from ,I seen this one or one like it before

Wayne J

Thanks Paul.

Wayne, they are an >>MTH<< car that was put out around 2004. It took me a month to track one down.

Shane

I remember from the modifications Ted D does, that the height of the bolster on the truck varies quite a bit between brands.

Greg

1/32 car. That explains the larger 1/29 Kadee truck not fitting and why the undersize 1/29 USA truck fitting. Nice unique car.

Paul Burch said:

Shane,

Nice looking car.

Greg,

I don’t have any Kadee trucks to measure but I do know that the USA Bettendorf trucks are small for 1/29. They measure 5’ 3" axle to axle. Should be 5 ‘6" for 50T car or 5’ 8" for 70T car with 33" wheels. Maybe the USA trucks are a throwback to before they made 1/29 and they just reused them from previous models. A Aristo Bettendorf truck measures to about 5’ 8".

Measurements I did for friction bearing type trucks are shown in the illustration below. The way the truck bolsters are designed also affects fitment to a car and how high the car is from the railhead - consequently, its body mount coupler alignment with the Kadee gauge.

-Ted

Ted,

Thanks for posting. I learned a couple things. One that AML makes two different truck types and it looks like Kadee is right on with axle spacing.

Shane,

Sorry this got a little side tracked from your great looking car.

Shane, did you make a remote for the operating dump? That would be fun

I’d like to get one, and it’s not in the catalog now, can you give me the part number of that car?

Thanks, Greg

Hi Greg, no, I removed the electronics. The original trucks are designed to make contact with a center rail which will operate the car when power is applied.

This link should bring up all of the O/G operating dump cars…MTH Operating Dump Cars

This is the car I purchased…Santa Fe Dump Car

Shane

Another possible truck alternative for the Difco Dump Car is illustrated below.

-Ted

Thanks Ted. I’d definitely prefer roller bearings if I can get them to fit. I’ll grab one of my intermodal cars and check it out.

Shane

Hi Shane,

Were you able to check to see if the USA Trains Intermodal roller bearing (emulated) trucks will work on your Difco car?

Thanks,

-Ted

Hi Ted,

I think it will work. I’ve ordered one from Charles Ro, so hopefully I can let you know in a few weeks. The mounting hole needs to be enlarged, so I don’t want to make any mods until I have a spare.

Shane

Shane,

FYI, If only one was ordered, and you determine it will work and want to use it, you will have to order a second since only one truck assembly is in the package.

-Ted

Hi Ted,

Unfortunately it didn’t work. The spacer required for the wheels to clear the bottom of the car resulted in the truck being pushed right off of the mounting pin.

Shane

Thanks Shane,

Interesting, and rather surprising! Wheels are same for both USAT Bettendorf and Intermodal trucks, so there must be some other subtle difference between the two.

-Ted

Did you say you ordered the roller bearing trucks from Charlie Roe / USA Trains and received them ? Which size wheels did you order , the 33" or 36" ? The reason i’m asking is I haven’t seen them available for years now and that would be good news. I’ve been using the Kadee trucks and they are good too but I prefer the USA ones.