Large Scale Central

going t the birds

While in ACE hardware yesterday I came across this birdhouse that has some stunning detail, while small, they are fairly inexpensive, and built for out doors. I have a couple of other brand ones on my layout but are not near the detail that these are, sold by various dealers one of which is amazon. Think in the right setting they would add some nice detail to a layout, they are made by Home Bazaar, Bill

labelbirdhouse

Did you measure the doorway height?

about 3 inches, little short but looks ok

not bad for 1:29 scale, actually exterior doors are commonly about 80 inches high, so 3" in 1:29 would scale to 87", not bad.

short for 1:20.3, only 5 foot… and only 5-1/2 foot for 1:22 people…

Looks like a trip Ace is in store (no pun intended) for this weekend, thanks Bill!

Actually I had to go back to ACE so this time I measured it with a ruler and it was 3 5/8"

now too tall for 1:29 and 1:32

so 74" for the 1:20 crowd, a bit short, but older buildings did not have tall doors all the time

and the Big Hauler crowd at 1:22 are spot on at 79.75" right on for the typical 80" exterior door.

Greg

They WILL eventually rot outside. I have gone this route before.

Joe Zullo said:

They WILL eventually rot outside. I have gone this route before.

Like Joe said. I’ve done all kinds of sealers and longest our lasted to was about 5 years before just dry rot or falling apart and have to con’t do repair on them.

Michael have a lot of them that can be painted and sealed to, but won’t last very long in our area. They are cheap and can be replaced easy thro. We install light in most of our with LED’s. They do look good with a little add details.

I see some of the decoration is resin/plastic, maybe those will last longer than the wood.

Greg,

The resin parts will last but the wood parts will rot. How fast depends on your area but mine rotted and had to be replaced on average 3 years. We get a lot of rain here in the “Sunshine” state. In the summer you almost count on a heavy rain shower in the afternoon to last an hour or two and then the sun will pop out again.

Yes, I was thinking that the resin would last a bit more, and you do have a perfect state for rot… I have visited and learned about the 4pm every day rain shower! Came in the summer and was really surprised for it to rain… also people walking in the rain like nothing unusual… Was in the Gainesville area.

Tractor Supply has bird feeders in plastic and mine have lasted better than any Piko buildings I have left outdoors. Some even came in rectangular sizes (log cabin and barn).

These appear to be UV protected as I did nothing to preserve them.

artline

The North state village collection has what you are describing and they do hold up well, several years ago I bought a feeder at a garage sale for $5.00 made by Artline very detailed and painted up looks pretty good, but seems it is no longer made

artline