Large Scale Central

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ken, when I was a Boy Scout, we used a lot of those on our overnight campouts. Dad had a P-38 on his key ring and I have several scattered around the house somewhere. If I remember right the turkey was sought after along with the beef stroganoff. Happy Thanksgiving to all who did serve or are overseas now. And to all here, Happy Thanksgiving.

Hey Ken, thanks for ruining my breakfast(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Pete Lassen said:

Ken, when I was a Boy Scout, we used a lot of those on our overnight campouts. Dad had a P-38 on his key ring and I have several scattered around the house somewhere. If I remember right the turkey was sought after along with the beef stroganoff. Happy Thanksgiving to all who did serve or are overseas now. And to all here, Happy Thanksgiving.

I have one on a key ring along with one of my dog tags.

We were fortunate when I was over there for thanksgiving. We pulled into a Marine Firebase for resupply and got a hot turkey dinner at the mess hall. It wasn’t exactly like home but it came pretty close and we sure appreciated it.

Your welcome, Rick…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

At least you don’t show “Ham and Lima Beans”. I often wondered who came up with the “flavors” that were in a case? The Turkey Loaf and ALL of the other “flavors” sure seemed to have a lot more fat!

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all…

Of course, the later versions of the MRE’s were freeze dried… You just added water…

Bite off a hunk, and let the saliva in your mouth moisten it all up, when water wasn’t around…

Andy Clarke said:

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all…

Of course, the later versions of the MRE’s were freeze dried… You just added water…

Bite off a hunk, and let the saliva in your mouth moisten it all up, when water wasn’t around…

They were well after my time, but I loved that our troops called them “Meals Refused by Ethiopians” - at a time when there was severe famine in Ethiopia.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

On a more serious note…

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Day everyone on LSC.

We shall have a small meal, chicken rather than turkey, but our day will be one of thankfulness.

I remember running with an interdiction patrol on Thanksgiving day 2005 several miles outside of Baghdad. We got a request from a nearby QRF wanting to meet up. This usually meant one of two things: they wanted to split ammo and water (easy to run low on those 12 hour patrols) or things were about to get evil and they wanted help. Coordinates were given and 10 minutes later we found them circled up in a field on a low hill, top guns pointing out in all directions. Defensive position, this didn’t look good.

Once we joined them, their SFC quickly explained we were invited for Thanksgiving dinner and handed out bottles of water and MREs; meal 7, Turkey w gravy. They had been pulling them out of their case lots for over a month until they had saved enough for all of us. Grace was said and we dug into warm water and cold food. Never thought I would be grateful for MREs …and that day did nothing to change that expectation. It was gawd-awful. Spongy bland meat patty, congealed oily gravy and a dry oat bar for dessert.

Most certainly a matter of perspective but that remains one of the best Thanksgiving meals I ever ate.

Boomer,

That story brought a tear to my eyes! I love ya man. Thanks for giving of your service.

A happy Thanksgiving to one and all. May we all be thankful for the blessings in our lives and remember those less fortunate and those away from home allowing us to celebrate this day.

Happy Turkey day everybody!

Happy Thanksgiving, All!

I’d regale you with a Navy story about Thanksgiving, but somehow the grousing about the time we had to use unstarched table linens seemed like an invitation to get punched!

Fondest Aloha from Clan Mueller!

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!

Ken Brunt said:

Ken, that doesn’t look too appetizing, but I bet it was better than some of the MREs the troops eat today. I never had the pleasure of eating those rations, but I did try and eat an MRE that the Gaurd was giving away during one of our hurricanes. The gave us a whole case. I ate one and gave the case away!

Not a war story , but a trucker story. Back in 92-93 I volunteered to be one of 3 guys to haul loads of hazardous waste from El Paso TX to a small facility in Arkansas and deliver it on Thanksgiving day. We all loaded and headed to the facility and I was 3rd in line to unload as a direct burn, when our load was slowly fed to a incinerator to be burned. first guy unloaded and talked to the people there to allow us to drop our trailer and wait in the motel instead of staying with the load. Thanksgiving day as we were all were sitting around we found out the hotel had a dinner buffet, well leader of the group and the one that was already empty and able to head home was wanting to know if the mashed potatos were real or instant, because he wasnt about to eat instant potatos!!!,while we all were watching the games and deciding to go eat. At about noon we all walked down to the dinner to find we were still thinking on AZ time and were an 15 minutes late !! they had closed up and had pretty much put everything away! back at the room we got the phone call, truck # 2 was empty and I was left to unload, so when we arrived at the plant the guy on this shift insisted I had to stay with the trailer, the other 2 guys headed home and for the next 7 hours I sat by myself in the truck. Thanksgiving dinner for me that day was a turkey sandwich , chips M&M’s and a soda out of the vending machine. only bright spot was the pay that day was double time for holiday and the whole time I was sitting there doing nothing. And thats how I remember it.

Happy Thanksgivning to everyone, hope your day is a nice one with little to no drama!!!

Some of the stuff wasn’t too bad. Bean and franks, beans and meatballs, scrambled eggs and ham. Heated up over a pinch of C-4 and it almost tasted like a home cooked meal.(not) Then again, if you got hungry enough…naw, we never got that hungry…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif) Being on a track, we could carry a lot of extra goodies we’d pick up at the PX, not to mention the Care Packages we’d get from home.

Some of it was so bad we gave it to the Viet Namese kids when we passed through the villages. Hearts and minds stuff.

Folks;

Hope all have a thankful and blessed day. Three of us have the sinus and lung crud this year, so we decided not to walk the Drumstick Dash, a local event that supports the Rescue Mission (We already paid to walk, so the needy will still benefit.). Their slogan is “Move your feet so that others can eat.”

Looking at those rations made me think of something else that comes in a can, Spam. I wish it still just came in a can instead of into your phone and computer, but such is “Progress.” I am thankful that it is still available packed as a single slice - keeps me from over-indulging.

Thankful for all who served and still serve, especially all the “kids” who volunteered in WWII. My own dear Daddy lied about his age and got into the Navy.

Best, David Meashey

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope you and your families enjoy a great meal and each other’s company. A special thanks goes out to all those that have served or are currently deployed throughout the world working on this day of thanks to ensure that we have the opportunity to be with our families and give thanks for the blessings that have been brought upon us.