Large Scale Central

Question regarding the LGB Forney Design.

Hi Guys,

Question regarding the LGB Forney Design.

As the SR&RL Forney is a Two Foot Gauge locomotive,

did LGB simply broaden the Gauge of the SR&RL Forney MODEL locomotive from

Two Foot Gauge to Three Foot Gauge ( 39 Inch Meter Gauge ) for Gauge One Track at 1:22.5 Scale ?

Norman

did LGB simply broaden the Gauge of the SR&RL Forney MODEL locomotive

Well, it certainly isn’t a much larger scale than 1:22.5. Just compare it to the new Accucraft 7/8ths model. LGB tends to be quiet about scales, so one might assume it is 1:22.5 but the prototype was very small so it might be 1:20.
That being said, is it a model of a SR&RL locomotive? I have no idea.

Norman, LGB is famous for “gummy scale”, so the loco is most likely approximately 1:22 or so, and clearly they used 45mm gauge, so I think the answer must be yes, as in all their other USA SG prototypes, since NONE of them are correctly scaled for 45mm track (nothing they make in standard gauge is 1:32)

I’ve seen your posts lately, can you share the project you are considering?

Greg

Norman, I found it to be a little large for the rest of their stuff but not 1:20 biggest thing is it’s not a Forney it is actually a 2-4-4T or 0-4-4T Mason bogie as the drive articulates but it is still a fine looking model, Bill

I have the LGB and Bachmann Forney and there is no doubt a noticeable difference in size. The Bachmann is 1:20 scale while the Forney is closer to 1:22 scale. Personally, the Bachmann is much nicer looking and goes well with the Accucraft passenger cars.

Bill, Yes LGB made the power truck swivel, but its really not a Mason Bogie, because it doesn’t have the reversing linkage over the top of the boiler. LGB also split the drive on their first version on the Mikado, and both sections pivot, but its really not an articulated locomotive. Its just LGB’s way of making things go around their impossibly tight R1 curves. I haven’t seen their latest Mikado up close, so I don’t know if that one has the split drive or not.

Hi Greg,

"

Greg

"

I am STILL trying to determine EXACTLY how the DELTON Locomotive Works Designer Phil Jenson

had built the DELTON 0-4-2T Prototype that never went to market as is shown here

http://www.npcrr.com/Articles/PhilJensenStory/ThePhilJensenStory.pdf

at the Top of Page 16 of 38 .

The Cab and Domes are of the DELTON C P HUNTINGTON.

The Driver Diameter matches the LGB Forney.

The Crosshead is of the same appearance as the LGB Forney.

My GUESS is that Phil Jensen Shortened a LGB FORNEY Drive to bring the Driver Axles closer together or

possibly Phil Jensen used the Front Half of a LGB MOGUL Drive.

The Cab DECK appears to be of the DELTON LIONEL 0-6-0T and

the Bunker appears to be of the DELTON LIONEL 0-4-0T .

The Smokebox & Boiler appear to be of the LGB FORNEY ( Front Half of the LGB FORNEY Boiler ).

Greg, what are your observations ?

Norman

I see your reasoning, but with only a small picture, much of this seems to be conjecture. Also, I looked again at the article, and don’t see where the 0-4-2T driver diameters are specified.

The article says he was using the Mack chassis in a few places, but the picture shows what looks more like LGB red plastic drivers, and indeed the spacing indicates it cannot be a stock Mack chassis.

Did you check the dates of manufacture of the LGB unit to see if it was indeed available when this loco was prototyped? The article also does not give any dates that this prototype was developed, most likely after 1987, but who knows?

I think you need more references to try to uncover this, but are you just curious about the history, or are you trying to replicate his prototype?

Regards, Greg

Norman Bourgault said:

Hi Greg,

"

Greg

"

I am STILL trying to determine EXACTLY how the DELTON Locomotive Works Designer Phil Jenson

had built the DELTON 0-4-2T Prototype that never went to market as is shown here

http://www.npcrr.com/Articles/PhilJensenStory/ThePhilJensenStory.pdf

Good link Norman! Nice to see it saved!!

Norman, why don’t you just call Phil Jensen at H-L-W I’m sure he can answer your question