• Topic: LGB 20140 Sound and battery install

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 14, 2020 10:55 AM EST
      • Fort Myers Beach & Annapolis, Florida & Maryland

• Thanks

insulate all those loose boards

Insulate? What for? 

Actually, all of them except the sound board are encapsulated in plastic as if they have been dipped. You can see the slight sheen in the ESC and the RX.  The sound board is sitting on a metal rod, so there's some double-sided foam tape underneath holding it in position and insulating it. With the top (aggregate load) on, the boards are much more carefully arranged, with the SSSS tucked in the side of the sound board.

I was looking around for something to put in the top of the sandbox, as I am missing the curved lid.  I found a couple of knobs off a track light bracket which are a perfect tight fit, and have a mesh-type texture inside the lip. I like it!

And a little video which shows off the sound system and all those whirring valve rods!

This post was edited by Pete Thornton at January 14, 2020 11:34 AM EST

Pete

• January 15, 2020 6:08 AM EST
      • Bundaberg, Queensland Australia

• Thanks

Pete Thornton said:

insulate all those loose boards

Insulate? What for? 

Actually, all of them except the sound board are encapsulated in plastic as if they have been dipped. You can see the slight sheen in the ESC and the RX.  The sound board is sitting on a metal rod, so there's some double-sided foam tape underneath holding it in position and insulating it. With the top (aggregate load) on, the boards are much more carefully arranged, with the SSSS tucked in the side of the sound board.

I was looking around for something to put in the top of the sandbox, as I am missing the curved lid.  I found a couple of knobs off a track light bracket which are a perfect tight fit, and have a mesh-type texture inside the lip. I like it!

And a little video which shows off the sound system and all those whirring valve rods!

Pete,

A word of caution.

I would not put the insulation properties of a conformal coating (dipped in plastic is generally poly-urethane) in good stead, it is usually at its thinness at the point of the soldered component leg.

From personal experience of many years in the aircraft electronics field, I have seem many a board failure due to vibrations rubbing through the coating and exposing the solder joints which then shorted out.  

I use an insulation covering over the solder side of all my boards as a precaution, I use the plastic that is used for covers of reports available at a stationary store (also makes good window glazing).

I have also read somewhere (can't say where) that double sided tape is not a very good insylator.

• January 15, 2020 2:47 PM EST
      • Be Nice or STFU

• Thanks

Indeed I see:

clear heat shrink on the RX

clear heat shrink on the esc

something on one of the triggers

but

nothing on the MLS board

bare pins exposed on the receiver

nothing on the other trigger board..

Just stating what I see, but I will say that the clear heat shrink should not have issues like the ones described for conformal coatings, and you do indeed have to watch that with conformal coatings.

The amount of exposed metal still makes me a bit nervous, but as long as you don't let the magic smoke out, all is well!

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• January 17, 2020 2:46 PM EST

• Thanks

as long as you don't let the magic smoke out, all is well!

But I need a smoke generator. 

Point taken.  These boards are (mostly) too expensive to not give them adequate protection.

Pete

• January 17, 2020 4:27 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Greg has a valid point.

Any bare metal can cause a problem.

For the bare servo pins on the RX I will be supplying no charge push on dummy servo plugs, without wires, that will cover the bare pins.

For pcb's that have bare backs I recommend mounting the component on a thin sheet of styrene.  Regular double stick foam tape works well.

This post was edited by Tony Walsham at January 17, 2020 4:31 PM EST

Best wishes,
      Tony Walsham

Remote Control Systems. www.rcs-rc.com/
        Modern technology. Old Fashioned reliability

• January 17, 2020 5:43 PM EST
      • Be Nice or STFU

• Thanks

Just a note on insulation, on some boards, notably ESCs and decoders, you want to allow a little air flow on the output transistors. I favor a sheet of styrene as Tony states over double stick tape that conforms to the surface and is an excellent thermal insulator.

Please note this is just for components that can generate heat.

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• January 18, 2020 2:00 PM EST

• Thanks

For pcb's that have bare backs I recommend mounting the component on a thin sheet of styrene.  Regular double stick foam tape works well.

The sound board has "regular" foam double stick on the back, with the cover tape on it on the outside, so I don't think that's going to cause problems. I got out the little shiny plastic insulator bag that one of them came in and cut it in half - the RX is inside it with plenty of air space, and the ESC is in the other half.

Pete

• January 18, 2020 2:55 PM EST
      • Be Nice or STFU

• Thanks

If you are talking about the silver-grey bag, that is static conductive and should never be used when the board is powered. Likewise pink bags are usually static conductive. This is not a dead short, but can cause issues with microprocessors.

You want an insulator.

Greg

• January 19, 2020 11:18 AM EST
      • Be Nice or STFU

• Thanks

Looking good Pete.... I am both hardware and software engineer, double major, anything to avoid going to social sciences classes ha ha!

Been around long enough to remember the "Bad days" of static sensitivity, where you could blow up your ram chips putting them in the motherboard.

Greg

• January 19, 2020 3:36 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Hello Pete.

I don't know anything about the Rx you are contemplating other than it is a manual bind type.  You will of course need to gain access to it for binding.

Those are non standard servo pin sockets so may create a problem when used with servos or ESC connections.

Best wishes,
      Tony Walsham

Remote Control Systems. www.rcs-rc.com/
        Modern technology. Old Fashioned reliability

Forums Power and Sound Power and Sound

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google