Large Scale Central

AMS Coupler - Long Longing Car

Does anyone know how to mount couplers on a long AMS logging car? I bought one used and the coupler was broken, when replacing it I am struggling to get it to fit. It appears to mount differently than other AMS cars like a box or flat car. Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Long Logging Car: https://www.accucraftestore.com/ng-logging-car

Kevin,

I personally do not have an answer to you’re question however others may.

I would like to welcome you too Large Scale Central though.

Kevin,

I am not familiar with this car specifically, but do have many AMS cars. they all use the same coupler , but sometimes I have found the center hole needs to be reamed out bigger. did you get the correct model of the coupler? there are the 1:20.3 variety and a 1:29 variant that is slightly smaller. some folks use these to represent 3/4 size couplers. not sure if they fit in the same coupler box. I do no folks who have replaced these with kadees as well. so lots of options. perhaps post a photo of your area of concern.

Al P.

I thought AMS cars only came with one size of coupler.

There is the 1:29 offshoot AML (American Main Line) that came with it’s own knuckle couplers, both truck and body mounts… but these were never on AMS cars as I understand.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

There is the 1:29 offshoot AML (American Main Line) that came with it’s own knuckle couplers, both truck and body mounts… but these were never on AMS cars as I understand.

Greg

Give it a rest Greg. Semantics - They are all Accucraft cars / couplers. I’m pretty sure Al knows the 1:20 line is AMS while the 1:29 line is AML.

The answer is for the OP, not Al, so the OP will not get confused and accidentally get the wrong coupler that does not match his car.

I think Al is referring to the AMS 1:32 scale coupler. He just had the wrong standard gauge scale. Isn’t G gauge wonderful? He is correct, I do use them for 3/4 size couplers on my EBT equipment. The 1:20 and 1:32 scale couplers are nothing alike though. See the pictures below. Sorry Kevin I don’t have an answer for your question though. Welcome!

1:20.3 Scale Couplers Below:

1:32 Scale couplers Below:

Kevin,

I don’t have a direct answer, but in my experience Accucraft customer service is great. I would call and ask for either parts or service. Explain your dilemma and go from there.

And welcome to the best forum on the net.

Bob C.

Thanks Randy, picture worth 1,000 words…

Also the AML 1:29 coupler looks exactly like the 1:32 pictured above, but slightly different in size, I believe. Comes both body and truck mount.

Greg

The cars use the standard AP11-730 coupler but only the bottom plate of the journal box. The end of the center beam is hollow and forms the rest of the coupler pocket.

coupler

coupler mount

Also the AML 1:29 coupler looks exactly like the 1:32 pictured above, but slightly different in size, I believe.

A lot different in size. They are the size of the USA Trains coupler, and the old Bachmann. I picked up a few and they are going on my new shortie coaches. Still available at the Accucraft eStore for $10/pair.

I actually know that Pete, and thanks, but did not want to get another nasty comment from Jon Radder… just trying to help the OP avoid confusion…

Greg

Apparently the comment below has been rated “NASTY” by Mr. E… Oh well, guess I’m an outlaw now too. Any room in the coop Roos?

Jon Radder said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg

Give it a rest Greg. Semantics - They are all Accucraft cars / couplers. I’m pretty sure Al knows the 1:20 line is AMS while the 1:29 line is AML.

Jon Radder said:

Apparently the comment below has been rated “NASTY” by Mr. E… Oh well, guess I’m an outlaw now too. Any room in the coop Roos?

Jon Radder said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg

I think you’re ok now, he’s busy ridiculing me for a simple mistake on another thread. Called me out by name he did and all the years he stressed that was wrong!

I’m so confused … no! He’s still my: edit edit (I edited the term I used) to appease.

You suggested a 110v power supply for a sound card in a box car John, you gotta think that the extension cord problem was funny!

You never miss an opportunity to take a jab at me John, so who is the “stalker”? Look up the definition of paranoia…

Guys, what are you thinking?

“Thanking” someone for suggesting another person thinks their comments are nasty? Calling out a post in strong words instead of a polite suggestion? You TRYING to get Bob to abandon this site???

Yep, nice comments like “give it a rest”, and “cyber-stalker”… thanking people for pouring gasoline on the fire… great stuff…

John R. and Greg E. … how about both of you give it a rest. Both of you are out of line in my opinion. How about both of you take your egos and put them in time out for a while. This whole thing erupted over a misunderstanding between you two and should not be aired in such a manner in the public forum.

When a question is asked, if you don’t know the answer, don’t muddy the waters with misinformation and conjecture/opinion. Both you guys are knowledgeable and skilled, and I respect your advice until you show your dark side.

My opinion for what it is worth.

Bob Cope said:

John R. and Greg E. … how about both of you give it a rest. Both of you are out of line in my opinion. How about both of you take your egos and put them in time out for a while. This whole thing erupted over a misunderstanding between you two and should not be aired in such a manner in the public forum.

When a question is asked, if you don’t know the answer, don’t muddy the waters with misinformation and conjecture/opinion. Both you guys are knowledgeable and skilled, and I respect your advice until you show your dark side.

My opinion for what it is worth.

My simple mistake was caused by the warning as posted before mine, where it said not to use a train power pack. So I offered a different one.

For the record; no joke by him at me, will ever be seen as funny. There is a history off that person posting after me, so my friends never saw me online… Yes it does get old.

Dear Friends,

May I suggest that we “close” this subject on our own?

Everyone’s had their say, so let’s get back to trains and what we are best at: good-natured fellowship.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!