Large Scale Central

Tracks to the Launching Pad

Okay, Comrades, here’s the Soyuz rocket and space capsule on its way to the launching pad, the spaceship ultimately headed for the Space Station. Let’s see, in 1:24 scale it would be…how long?, like really long, and a lot of wheel sets.

I see the 2019 Annual Challenge: let’s see who can make this out of a two by four.

John Passaro said:

I see the 2019 Annual Challenge: let’s see who can make this out of a two by four.

Somewhere out there on one of the model kit building forums is a Japanese dude who can make it have working lights and rocket motors out of nothing but that 2x4.

No way! Vic will have all those rocket motors in his junk box!

A rocket? In 1:24th scale? On a narrow gauge 1920’s railroad?

Calling Mr Rogers, Mr Buck Rogers.

Strangely, one of my other hobbies is launching model rockets into oblivion (lakes and dense forest hereabouts). I have a station on my indoor layout designated ‘Base’ which is intended to store said model rockets. Only one there at the moment is a damaged version of ‘Spaceship One.’

Tim said:

I have a station on my indoor layout designated ‘Base’ which is intended to store said model rockets.

Cool. Fun could be had with that.

And while we’re talking rockets, the way my health is going it is increasingly unlikely the unfinished ones among the others will get finished and flown,

but there they are,

unlike me,you appear to recover most of your model rockets…intact, to boot!

Did a little googling. It appears the rocket itself is about 150 feet long and the Soyuz capsule is about 30 feet. So that would be 180 feet and at 1:24 that’s about 90 inches, or 7.5 feet! That is a loooong puppy.

Tim said:

unlike me,you appear to recover most of your model rockets…intact, to boot!

Mostly! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)
What’s not shown there is the Estes RTF X-15 in plastic which a few years back blew apart at the glue joints when ejection charge fired, a few months before the product was recalled by Estes.

Everything but the motor retaining ring was recovered.

It was at a club event so I wrote them with accounts and they sent a replacement, which has not flown and will not be flown.

Red and silver Quest Intruder, center of bottom left panel, got lucky and got away without getting a body tube zipper one time I put a B6-2 instead of recommended B6-4 in it.

I was out of B6-4 and decided it was worth experimenting with a -2 delay.

Won’t do that again, it was still moving at a pretty good clip when the chute deployed with quite a pop.

It can also use a C6-3 or C6-5, but the B motors send it just to the point of out of sight as is.

Been several years since I’ve flown and, but, yes, have been quite lucky, the flown ones have all come back home with me, even that one which did so “some re-assembly required”.

I had one of the old style camera rockets - camera nose cone got stuck and didn’t deploy when the ejection charge went off. Hit a tree branch square on full tilt, camera reduced to shrapnel.

Launched a Nike rocket once - one of the ones with the long, arrow sharp nose cone. again, nose cone got stuck in place; it rammed itself six inches into the lawn on impact, mere yards from the parking area.

Fired off a two stage rocket with ‘D’ engines on a moderately overcast day. Watched it disappear into the mist almost directly overhead, figured it was lost. Instead, long minutes later, it touched down intact all of about four feet from the lake. Alas, I dared fate a second time, and watched it head off towards some distant houses. Never did find it again.

Had the ‘baseball bat’ rocket which did not want to cooperate at all: launched it twice, both times it did a spiral aerial acrobatic display.

Another dangled from the upper branches of a fifty-foot cottonwood for several months before being recovered. I think I was able to salvage it.

Didn’t launch any rockets this summer, dry conditions, extreme fire hazard. (in fact, major 160,000+ acre forest fire in the area much of the summer)

I had one of the old style camera rockets - camera nose cone got stuck and didn’t deploy when the ejection charge went off. Hit a tree branch square on full tilt, camera reduced to shrapnel.

Launched a Nike rocket once - one of the ones with the long, arrow sharp nose cone. again, nose cone got stuck in place; it rammed itself six inches into the lawn on impact, mere yards from the parking area.

Fired off a two stage rocket with ‘D’ engines on a moderately overcast day. Watched it disappear into the mist almost directly overhead, figured it was lost. Instead, long minutes later, it touched down intact all of about four feet from the lake. Alas, I dared fate a second time, and watched it head off towards some distant houses. Never did find it again.

Had the ‘baseball bat’ rocket which did not want to cooperate at all: launched it twice, both times it did a spiral aerial acrobatic display.

Another dangled from the upper branches of a fifty-foot cottonwood for several months before being recovered. I think I was able to salvage it.

Didn’t launch any rockets this summer, dry conditions, extreme fire hazard. (in fact, major 160,000+ acre forest fire in the area much of the summer)

Tim, wouldn’t you just about have to model this, the Holy Assumption of The Virgin Mary Russian Orthodox Catholic Church? (Actually, my ex-wife was Eastern Orthodox Catholic----Bethlehem, not Russia----!), but I never knew Orthodox would be in Alaska? Maybe Palin invited them over while she was looking at Siberia from her front porch?)

edit: p.s. what’s it like living in paradise up there?

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Tim said:

I have a station on my indoor layout designated ‘Base’ which is intended to store said model rockets.

Cool. Fun could be had with that.

And while we’re talking rockets, the way my health is going it is increasingly unlikely the unfinished ones among the others will get finished and flown,

but there they are,

Forrest,

How are they mounted? With a rod up the kazoo? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Rockets. Before Kennedy got himself shot down there in Dallas he had all us kids all worked up about rockets and space. A friend of mine and I decided to harvest some gunpowder from his dad’s 30-06 shells to use as propulsion for our homemade rocket. It was a thing of beauty…Robert Goddard had nothing on us!

Thanks to our brilliant idea to use a long piece of yarn soaked in gasoline as our ignition mechanism, I survived the explosion.

John Passaro said:

Rockets. Before Kennedy got himself shot down there in Dallas he had all us kids all worked up about rockets and space. A friend of mine and I decided to harvest some gunpowder from his dad’s 30-06 shells to use as propulsion for our homemade rocket. It was a thing of beauty…Robert Goddard had nothing on us!

Thanks to our brilliant idea to use a long piece of yarn soaked in gasoline as our ignition mechanism, I survived the explosion.

Wernher von Braun would have been proud of you too.

Adam

An old Tom Lehrer song: “Vonce zhe rockets go up, who cares vere zhey come down? Zhat’s not my department, says Werner von Braun!”

Alas, I lack space for Kenai’s Russian Orthodox Church on my indoor layout. As to how it got there…

…well, about the time of the American Revolution, Russian fur traders (a brutal bunch overall) were setting up outposts all along the coast from the Aleutian islands to California. Planted churches at the bigger ones. Then (because they were afraid the British would take it anyhow) they sold Alaska to the US.

Paradise? Compared to some places, I suppose. Winters tend to be long, cold, and dark, though. And there was a 160,000+ acre forest fire not that far from me for almost the entire summer.

Joe Zullo said:

Forrest,

How are they mounted? With a rod up the kazoo? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Yep. Dowel cut to length for that specific rocket. What then takes the stress, what miniscule amount there is, are the side of the motor block ring and a point near the top of the tube, or if the nose cone is hollow blow molded plastic with a big enough hole in its base the dowel will extend in to the nose cone, unless the rocket is longer than the typical 36 inch dowel.
Rockets are also positioned with the motor retaining hook down or to the side, so it is not on top of dowel being pushed outward.

Tim said:

Paradise? Compared to some places, I suppose. Winters tend to be long, cold, and dark, though. And there was a 160,000+ acre forest fire not that far from me for almost the entire summer.

Don’t for get the bears, moose and those pesky earthquakes we get.

Tim said:

Alas, I lack space for Kenai’s Russian Orthodox Church on my indoor layout. As to how it got there…

…well, about the time of the American Revolution, Russian fur traders (a brutal bunch overall) were setting up outposts all along the coast from the Aleutian islands to California. Planted churches at the bigger ones. Then (because they were afraid the British would take it anyhow) they sold Alaska to the US.

What can’t you learn about on Large Scale Central ! ? !