Forum Sponsorsss


Forums General General Discussion
  • Topic: Massoth DCC Single Channel Switch Decoders

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 21, 2019 9:31 AM EDT
      • McLean, VA
         
      • Posts
        146
      • Thanks
        1
      • Thanked
        15

      Massoth DCC Single Channel Switch Decoders

      This provides additional information with some instructional photos about programming these neat little track switch decoders that I'm installing in my new garden railway layout.  To program each decoder’s address (Default=1), short circuit the two sets of 2-pin K1 and K2 Contacts;  I then set my DCC Navigator on Locomotive Address 3, then program CV32 = x (x being the switch address to be assigned).  Then de-power the decoder, remove alligator clips, re-power the decoder, and place the switch number into the Navigator, and it works.

       These decoders also have a lock function available, if needed.

       I’ll probably program the Automatic Opposite Direction Function on the below three-way switch for the three loco sheds I’m going to install in the rail yard:  CV75 and CV76 used for using the pre-set time with range 0 – 255 (Default=0).  Each unit equals .25 seconds, so a setting of 200 should equal 50 seconds.

       The Massoth Manual also states that these decoders can be used to activate motorized LGB Function Cars, such as the motorized LGB 41610 Barrel Unloading Car.......I recently bought one but haven't installed the decoder yet.

       

      This post was edited by Thomas White at August 21, 2019 2:56 PM EDT
      ____________________________________

      Tom White

      LGB Railfan - LocomotivesPro

      https://www.olddominionrailways.com/

       

    • August 21, 2019 2:51 PM EDT
      • Branchport, NY
         
      • Posts
        245
      • Thanks
        20
      • Thanked
        16

      Thomas White said:

      This provides additional information with some instructional photos about programming these neat little track switch decoders that I'm installing in my new garden railway layout.  To program each decoder’s address (Default=1), short circuit the two sets of 2-pin K1 and K2 Contacts;  I then set my DCC Navigator on Locomotive Address 3, then program CV32 = x (x being the switch address to be assigned).  Then de-power the decoder, remove alligator clips, re-power the decoder, and place the switch number into the Navigator, and it works.

       These decoders also have a lock function available, if needed.

       I’ll probably program the Automatic Opposite Direction Function on the below three-way switch for the three loco sheds I’m going to install in the rail yard:  CV75 and CV76 used for using the pre-set time with range 0 – 255 (Default=0).  Each unit equals .25 seconds, so a setting of 4 should equal 60 seconds.

       The Massoth Manual also states that these decoders can be used to activate motorized LGB Function Cars, such as the motorized LGB 41610 Barrel Unloading Car.......I recently bought one but haven't installed the decoder yet.

       

      Thomas

      I never was that great at math, but - wouldn't .25 seconds times 4 equal 1 second?

      Seems like .25 seconds times 240 would equal 60 seconds.

      Maybe I didn't understand your explanation.

      Tom

       

       

    • August 21, 2019 3:20 PM EDT
      • Shut Up Rooster
         
      • Posts
        8,740
      • Thanks
        186
      • Thanked
        741

      The manual says one unit is 0.25 sek (did not translate to english second)

      so a setting of 4 = 1 second, and 240 would be 60.... I come to the same conclusion as Tom....

       

      (wonder when 1/4 second "granularity" would be needed?)

       

      Greg

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • August 21, 2019 3:51 PM EDT
      • McLean, VA
         
      • Posts
        146
      • Thanks
        1
      • Thanked
        15

      Hi Tom - Yes, you're correct.  Sometimes the German translation in their instruction guides isn't accurate or clear.  I tested one of these decoders by setting the timer to "4" and it changed immediately.  So, then I changed it to "200" and it automatically switched back in 50 seconds.  So, the math is .25 times the setting. 

      CV75 or CV76 sets the timer on a decoder depending on what position you want the switch to automatically move to.  On the three way switch in the photos, I first tried the left side switch motor decoder using CV75=200, but it moved the switch back to the left side.......I wanted the left switch to automatically move back to the center track setting.  So, I changed CV75 back to "0" and set CV76 =200, and now the left switch motor automatically moves back to the center track position after 50 seconds.  For the right switch motor, I set CV75 =200, and the right switch moves back to the center track position after 50 seconds.  

      This post was edited by Thomas White at August 21, 2019 3:52 PM EDT
      ____________________________________

      Tom White

      LGB Railfan - LocomotivesPro

      https://www.olddominionrailways.com/

       

    • August 21, 2019 5:51 PM EDT
      • Shut Up Rooster
         
      • Posts
        8,740
      • Thanks
        186
      • Thanked
        741

      Another alternative you might need in the future is an autoreverser coupled with switch throwing. Take a look at the DCC Specialties PSX-AR, there is an option to throw a switch when the autoreverser actuates.., basically easily automates a reversing loop with a switch.

       

      Greg

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • August 22, 2019 7:02 AM EDT
      • Eastern Massachusetts
         
      • Posts
        1,098
      • Thanks
        6
      • Thanked
        89

      I also did the gondola for remote control.  It is awesome to dump remotely anywhere.  I liked it so much that I swapped parts with a second car and the 41613 can now remotely dump anywhere.

      So I now have 2 gondolas with different colors/numbers (1610/1613) and the metal dump car with a small HO motor decoder.

    • August 22, 2019 5:11 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        10,704
      • Thanks
        98
      • Thanked
        761

      It would be nice to be able to dump anywhere.........

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • August 22, 2019 5:32 PM EDT
      • McLean, VA
         
      • Posts
        146
      • Thanks
        1
      • Thanked
        15

      Dan Pierce said:

      I also did the gondola for remote control.  It is awesome to dump remotely anywhere.  I liked it so much that I swapped parts with a second car and the 41613 can now remotely dump anywhere.

      So I now have 2 gondolas with different colors/numbers (1610/1613) and the metal dump car with a small HO motor decoder.

      DAN - THE LGB 41613 GONDOLA IS A MANUAL DUMPING GONDOLA.  DID YOU REMOVE THE MOTOR UNIT FROM THE LGB 41610 AUTO BARREL UNLOADING CAR AND THEN INSTALL IT IN THE LGB 41613......I WASN'T SURE WHAT YOU DID?

      THANKS

      ____________________________________

      Tom White

      LGB Railfan - LocomotivesPro

      https://www.olddominionrailways.com/

       

    • August 22, 2019 5:46 PM EDT
      • McLean, VA
         
      • Posts
        146
      • Thanks
        1
      • Thanked
        15

      Folks - Since I retired from a 36 year federal government career 10 years ago, my large scale hobby now includes doing LGB locomotive repairs and DC/DCC power/sound decoder installations for people.  I buy my Massoth items inventory from a distributor in Germany.  So, if you'd like to try out one of these Massoth DCC Single Switch Decoders, I'm willing to sell one to my fellow Forum associates:  $45 plus $4 USPS First Class Package Shipping.  If interested email me:  OldDominionRailways@gmail.com

      Tom

      This post was edited by Thomas White at August 22, 2019 5:47 PM EDT
      ____________________________________

      Tom White

      LGB Railfan - LocomotivesPro

      https://www.olddominionrailways.com/

       

    • August 23, 2019 7:08 AM EDT
      • Eastern Massachusetts
         
      • Posts
        1,098
      • Thanks
        6
      • Thanked
        89

      Zimo has a water proof single switch decoder MX820 and it has direct programming and a lock bit and for $35.00.

      Synchronous update (updating more than one decoder at the same time), possible for accessory decoders MX820 and MX821 but you do need the Zimo update module MXULFA.

    • August 24, 2019 1:25 PM EDT
      • McLean, VA
         
      • Posts
        146
      • Thanks
        1
      • Thanked
        15

      Dan - Do the Zimo single switch decoders also have the timer function?

       

      ____________________________________

      Tom White

      LGB Railfan - LocomotivesPro

      https://www.olddominionrailways.com/

       

    • August 25, 2019 7:25 AM EDT
      • Eastern Massachusetts
         
      • Posts
        1,098
      • Thanks
        6
      • Thanked
        89

      They have timers, acceleration settings, and many other features as when used for light controls.

      Go to zimo.at, choose british flag for english and download the accessory manual.

    • September 7, 2019 12:55 PM EDT
      • Cumming, GA
         
      • Posts
        1,038
      • Thanks
        4
      • Thanked
        19

      Thomas White said:

      Folks - Since I retired from a 36 year federal government career 10 years ago, my large scale hobby now includes doing LGB locomotive repairs and DC/DCC power/sound decoder installations for people.  I buy my Massoth items inventory from a distributor in Germany.  So, if you'd like to try out one of these Massoth DCC Single Switch Decoders, I'm willing to sell one to my fellow Forum associates:  $45 plus $4 USPS First Class Package Shipping.  If interested email me:  OldDominionRailways@gmail.com

      Tom

      Are these switch machines water proof and can you use them out doors?  Later RJD

    • September 7, 2019 7:29 PM EDT
      • Shut Up Rooster
         
      • Posts
        8,740
      • Thanks
        186
      • Thanked
        741

      The topic being discussed is a DECODER, which is the electronics ...

       

      RJD, you asked about a MACHINE, which is the "motor" to do the job... these are not them...

       

      You have a combination motor and decoder in one box as stock I believe...

       

      The only "machines" I have ever seen that were really waterproof are the pneumatic ones.

       

      Greg

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • September 8, 2019 4:33 AM EDT
      • McLean, VA
         
      • Posts
        146
      • Thanks
        1
      • Thanked
        15

      Greg - I didn't catch the word "machine" which, as you say, refers to the LGB switch motor.  I was referring to the stand alone DCC switch decoder which is sealed and waterproof.

      ____________________________________

      Tom White

      LGB Railfan - LocomotivesPro

      https://www.olddominionrailways.com/

       

    • September 8, 2019 2:30 PM EDT
      • Shut Up Rooster
         
      • Posts
        8,740
      • Thanks
        186
      • Thanked
        741

      Tom, RJ and I are long time friends, I know the problem he is trying to solve, so just wanted to make sure everyone was clear. He has combination units with the motor and decoder inside, and they use servos.

       

      Greg

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

Forums General General Discussion

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google