Large Scale Central

What Am I To Do?

I have an Airwire Plug - In board that I just can’t seem to get rid of. If you’ve seen my sale post, you’ll know what I’m referring to.

I got an Airwire board for a loco I ultimately decided to keep track powered. So, I tried selling it. I put it up on the for sale section of this site, and on Facebook’s G scale Swap and Shop group.

However, not a single person has been interested. No messages, no comments, no nothing. I even emailed a friend and fellow Airwire user, with a C-19 he wants to convert to battery power. I heard nothing back from him. (The Plug - In board was especially designed to fit in the plug n play Bachmann and Aristo sockets, and particularly the K-27 & C-19).

I have absolutely no use for the board. I would keep the board and use it, but it’s too large to fit into my smaller engines (I don’t use trailing cars). My hope was that it would sell and I could use the funds to buy a new, smaller board. But that seems like a slim chance now. I wish that I had returned the board soon after I got it, but it’s too late.

So what do I do now?

I can’t get rid of it, and I can’t use it. It would be nice to get money for it, since I paid for it. But if someone really wanted it, they would have said something by now.

I guess Airwire is too much of a niche for g scalers.

I think you identified the issue. The Aristo socket, later adopted by Bachmann, often did not have a lot of room around it. So, it does not fit everything as you have found.

Also, AirWire, while a great system some time ago, has become more so-so with it’s 900 MHz frequency, and some small “gotchas” that can make it problematic. (I do think the Convrtr is a good idea, but $130 is pretty high for a “deadrail” adapter, when there are other deadrail “receiver/boosters” for $100 or less.

Sorry you are “stuck”, but AirWire the brand has become somewhat of a niche. More universal “deadrail” systems are popping up all over.

Greg

I like Airwire, it’s just that I’m stuck with this particular board I can’t use. I’m even willing to lower my price, but I doubt that will make anyone more interested.

Not only will it not fit in my engines, but the engines I use don’t have the plug n play sockets.

If it was Revo, it’d sell like hotcakes.

I think most Airwire users are on the downsizing side of the hobby. It’s of no use to me, I use RailBoss.

My friends here tend to expect big discounts and tend not to care about what you hope to get out of it, unless you can wake their sympathy.

Mmmmm hotcakes!

Good luck.

This won’t do you any good, Joe, but all of my locos are USA Trains and LGB. I’m sure you’d have more takers if you had an Airwire Drop-in board or a G3x for sale. Plus, if I wanted a decoder board for the Aristo/Bachmann K-27 & C-19, I could pick up a brand new one (with a warranty) today for $139 and change.

I’ve decided to stick with the Airwire/Phoenix combo. It may be older technology, but it seems to work well for what I want. One thing I will NEVER do again is to buy electronics sight-unseen from a non-reputable dealer. 1. Airwire won’t honor repair service unless you provide them with the dealer information/PO that you bought it from. 2. With the dealer, you can be assured that you’re going to get the latest revision board (especially if you verify with them first). If you buy used, buyer beware - there’s a possibility that it’s a down-rev board/product or that it won’t function properly at all. Some Ebay/Facebook sellers know this (and play dumb like they don’t know) and that’s why they’re wanting to pawn it off. It happened to me.

I’m not even remotely suggesting that you’re doing this, Joe. People here know where to find you.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif) Just suggesting that the demand simply might not be there for your board or you may need to lower the [slightly used] price for it.

If the price is right, and you keep it “on sale” long enough, then the right person might just come along. Of course you want to sell it now, and probably for more coin then bargain hunters want to pay, but, that’s the hobby.

Pretty much …stick it on ebay for $1 no reserve and let the bidding war begin or not ?