Forums Modeling Modeling
  • Topic: Favorite Builds

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 30, 2019 12:15 AM EDT
      • Pleasanton, CA

• Thanks

Here's another Ray Dunakin build: a former billiards hall turned radio repair and barbershop [link].

As usual, Ray's builds are eye popping with detail upon detail, all scratch built with interesting techniques, including the interiors. This one is a brick building with lots of signage and wear and tear.

• July 30, 2019 8:20 AM EDT
      • Ormond Beach, Fl. 32174

• Thanks

Off the wall definitely one of the great builds the detail is unbelievable.!!!!  

• July 30, 2019 10:00 AM EDT
      • Missouri, It's like Floodsburg, man

• Thanks

Those interior details probably border on historical documentation.

• July 30, 2019 10:06 PM EDT
      • Pleasanton, CA

• Thanks

Eric Schade has some mad skillz, shown here in his 7/8 passenger coach [link].

The woodworking and other details make this one special, with the added bonus that Eric knows how the actual coach was built since he was restoring one!

• July 31, 2019 9:42 AM EDT
      • Ormond Beach, Fl. 32174

• Thanks

Jim, another one for your list, I went to Bruce Chandler's "a coach for Bob" and scrolled on "MY builds" and there is a ton of for the list stuff does excellent work, Bill

This post was edited by Bill Barnwell at August 5, 2019 8:20 AM EDT
    • August 3, 2019 9:30 PM EDT
      • Cleveland, , Mississippi

• Thanks

Speaking of building, are any of you planning on building anything and going to national next year in Nashville, TN?

• February 19, 2021 6:10 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Jim Rowson said:

As a reminder:

* we're looking for good builds, not good builders

* we'd love to have a link to the original build

* it would be great to have a couple of photos to seduce us into visiting the build topic

* your key insights as to why this is a good build is also really helpful

With luck we can end up with a place where good builds can be gathered as a reference. I personally find the builds here to be incredibly helpful.

If you are trying to search for an old build, here's a tip: add "site:largescalecentral.com" (without the quotes) into a google search and you will only get results from this site.

Cheers!

Bump for post count

This post has been edited by: ROOSTER

• February 19, 2021 8:21 PM EST
      • Denver, Colorado

• Thanks

Rooster said:

If you are trying to search for an old build, here's a tip: add "site:largescalecentral.com" (without the quotes) into a google search and you will only get results from this site....

Well aren't you a smarty pants!

EDIT:   Okay, I take that back. I can't figure out how the search works.

This post was edited by John Passaro at February 19, 2021 11:12 PM EST

• February 20, 2021 8:32 AM EST
      • Maryland, USA

• Thanks

John, here's an example, entered verbatim, in the Chrome search bar:

site:largescalecentral.com passaro

...which brings up all kinds of things you've been mentioned in or wrote about.

• February 20, 2021 9:21 AM EST
      • Denver, Colorado

• Thanks

Thanks, Cliff....here's one that came up, some fascinating stuff, at least to me.

I really think we should appeal to Gary Armitstead to write a booklet about his personal experiences and what he knows about the history of some model railroad manufacturing; he's a treasure of information.  Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Gary lately?

• February 20, 2021 10:22 AM EST
      • Southern Oregon

• Thanks

John Passaro said:

Thanks, Cliff....here's one that came up, some fascinating stuff, at least to me.

I really think we should appeal to Gary Armitstead to write a booklet about his personal experiences and what he knows about the history of some model railroad manufacturing; he's a treasure of information.  Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Gary lately?

John,

I think that is a good idea.  I talked to Gary a coupla months back, he was busy on his engines still.

• February 20, 2021 11:53 AM EST
      • Pleasanton, CA

• Thanks

OK, I guess a tutorial on how Google (and other) search works might be useful to help folks find stuff.

Google uses what's called a reverse index. The way it works is that Google crawls the web (i.e. goes and visits each web page and downloads the text) and then processes each page. It takes the text from the page and finds all the words (and pairs of words, these are unigrams and bigrams). For each unigram and bigram it makes a list of all the pages that mention them.

When you do a search, it takes your search string, say "passaro mining office" and it gets the page lists for "passaro", "mining", "office", and the various pairs of words.  Each page is then scored by how often those words appear (bonus when more than one from the search string is in the page) and sorts those pages by highest score first (probably one that has all of passerone and mining and office in it). It then shows you the top scoring pages (the actual method of scoring pages is way more complicated and is Google's secret sauce).

If you add "site:largescalecentral.com" then it limits it to pages that come from that site.

So if you do a search for "site:largescalecentral.com passaro" then you get all the pages that mention John. But that includes every time John comments on somebody else's page, since our name is put on the page next to our post. These are probably in somewhat random order because there's no extra information to hep score the pages. Sadly (or awesomely), Google can't read your mind.

If you want to find John's excellent build where he created an office for his mining district, you can search for "site:largescalecentral.com passaro mining office" [link] and the first result is his Mik build from 2018.

Perhaps more info than you wanted...

Forums Modeling Modeling

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google