Large Scale Central

Lift table examples?

Greetings folks!

I am working on designing my railroad and was wondering about indoor lift tables? What I mean specifically is, I have my work area in our basement, and I would like to have the track come in from outside through our basement window nearby. The window is about 7’ off the ground and the bench isn’t. :slight_smile: So I’ll like to try to put something together where I can set/retrieve cars at bench height, and then raise them to the outdoor track height.

So I’m looking for some examples of lifts that could be built or even plans. I have tried googling it, but I must not be using the right search terms, because I have come up empty.

Thanks for any help!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Winch+system+for+model+railroad+

Not exactly what you are looking for but perhaps some ideas.

I don’t know if you have seen this but this is probably the ultimate storage of rolling stock. I think it’s a little more than you are thinking of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l65z3AQlOQ8

You have not said how many tracks or how long you want it. How about a platform that lifts up and down with guides on the 4 corners, “U” channel facing in with ball bearing guides. The lift mechanism could be a simple hand crank with pullies running cables to each end. I can visualize it but I am not sure I can describe what I am suggesting.

that video is insane. someone has way too much $$$ to play with. Switchcrafters has a more basic system, all thou probably still cost prohibitive for most, gives a better idea of what you could build your self.

AL P.

That last one IS insane, and beautiful!! Interesting kind of grid he’s using for track support, I’m guessing it might be poltruded fiberglass grating panels, cut to the match his curves.

That’s a great video list Rooster, tons of great ideas there.

Dan, Al, Cliff:

These guys are German, you know! Germans gave us Miniatur Wunderland: https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

edit: Well, okay, apparently Swiss, not exactly the same thing, but the Swiss are engineering/mechanical geniuses also, for example (scratch built ? ! hell, I can’t even get a damn Aristcraft switch to perform properly):

Holy cow, that Swiss one is amazing!! Def more money than I can handle. Lol. I’ll take aloe at switchcrafters for some inspiration. Thanks for the suggestion.

That Swiss doll thing reminds me a lot of a doctor who episode. Hah that’s borderline creepy. :slight_smile:

So some other details. I’ll need it t be right about 12 feet long to handle the articulated intermodal section I have. I had initially only thought of 1 track wide, but upon moments reflection at least two would be best. Dan, I think I’m getting the idea you are suggesting. Or at least a version of it. A part I didn’t mention though is I would like to have mine integrated into, or actually be, the work bench as well.

thank you so much rooster!

your link and the follow ups stole nearly my entire sunday. (just finished the 3 hour vid about german model railroads… )

That’s interesting. Something that short, he was able to get away with a single actuator. I have been dabbling with the idea of wall mounted linear rails, a la CNC machines, but I would need 2 rails, so was worried about rail alignment so as not to have binding issues. then was thinking of a lead or ballscrew for the motion.

now I’m starting to think of dual extrusions mounted to the wall and use v slot carriages kind of like you see on basic 3d printers (like my ender 3). Might give me the alignment forgiveness I need. :slight_smile:

i did some measuring and won’t be able to squeeze in a 12’ section Along this wall, so I guess I’ll have to set the intermodal “on site”, so to speak. Womp womp.

Korm Kormsen said:

thank you so much rooster!

your link and the follow ups stole nearly my entire sunday. (just finished the 3 hour vid about german model railroads… )

You are welcome Korm !

Scott said:

i did some measuring and won’t be able to squeeze in a 12’ section Along this wall, so I guess I’ll have to set the intermodal “on site”, so to speak. Womp womp.

Intermodal ? Modern freight excites me !

" Rooster " said:

Scott said:

Intermodal ? Modern freight excites me !

Yessindeedy! Me too! I pickup up this articulated set from a buddy of mine and plan to expand on it. Since it’s shared trucks though, it would have needed to go up on the lift as one piece.

So I’m looking for some examples of lifts that could be built or even plans.

This topic gets asked on a regular basis, and you can probably find a few threads with a search.

As a boater, I am familiar with boat lifts, and some of the smallest, used for lifting kayaks or jet skis, could easily be adapted to lift a flat train table. This one is a manual lift for 200# up to 5.5’.

This one is only $23 at HomeDepot - they seem to have several choices in bike and boat manual lifts.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RAD-Sportz-125-lb-Capacity-Kayak-Canoe-Ladder-Lift-Hoist-and-Storage-Rack-HWD630004/306920257

A jet ski lift with electric motors and auto-stop will cost you a lot more.

Thanks Pete! I, too, am a boater! Though, from your location, it looks like you would be a salty water man. Probably quite different from the lakes and rivers we cruise around these parts. :slight_smile:

Those examples you gave will be good food for thought as I scheme up what will work for me. I appreciate it!

Scott, try searching for Scissor lifts

Now that’s a thought. It could potentially be built into the skirting of a table/bench and only needs one actuator. Shoot, one could even use a stepper/rack/pinion setup for the linear travel for more precision. Good thought, Bob, thank you!

So yeah, it seems that there are about 20 ways to skin this particular cat.

Scissor lifts also have the advantage of long reach with short actuators. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=wMn-XNWnM4Wo_Qb8yrqQBQ&q=scissor+lift+mechanism+design&oq=scissor+lift+mechanism&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l7j0i22i30l3.1493.20764..28863...1.0..0.423.3680.0j19j1j2j1…0…1…gws-wiz…0…0i131j0i13.-Pzg72orwOU

might take a look a motorcycle/ atv lifts. commonly they are a scissor type lift already to go.