Forum Sponsorsss

Forums General General Discussion
  • Topic: New Guy form Dayton

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 7, 2019 8:07 AM EDT
      • Eastern Massachusetts

• Thanks

If the 0-6-6-0 is the LGB 2085, it will run on R1 curves with no issues.  Of course larger curves will be better.  Also note that LGB R2 is not exactly 5 foot.  I have seen mentioned that it was 4 foot 8 inch and also mentioned it was 5 foot 4 inch.

R1 track is almost 4 foot, 1200mm is the real size for center to center and comes out a little less than 4 foot.

• June 7, 2019 8:07 AM EDT
      • Eastern Massachusetts

• Thanks

If the 0-6-6-0 is the LGB 2085, it will run on R1 curves with no issues.  Of course larger curves will be better.  Also note that LGB R2 is not exactly 5 foot.  I have seen mentioned that it was 4 foot 8 inch and also mentioned it was 5 foot 4 inch.

R1 track is almost 4 foot, 1200mm is the real size for center to center and comes out a little less than 4 foot.

• June 7, 2019 11:30 AM EDT
      • Dayton, OH

• Thanks

Yup, the Mallet is the 2085 and thanks for your assessment Dan.  BTW, I have a European Depressed Center Transformer Flatcar (LGB 4058) that is ~2 feet long with 4, 4 wheel trucks (2 at each end) for 8 axles/16 wheels.  Will that negotiate the smaller radii adequately -  this is not considering side-to-side clearance issues along the track, of course!

Photo link below: 

edit:  hey, cool, I got a thumbnail!!!  Some day I hope to post a full size photo in one of my posts!  As a kid, I liked pictures a lot better than all them words in books (Come to think of it, now as well).

4058.png (437.47 Kb)
      This post was edited by Sam Griffith at June 7, 2019 11:39 AM EDT
    • June 7, 2019 12:07 PM EDT
      • Shut Up Rooster

• Thanks

GOOD ONE PETE!

Honestly, this can be a tricky issue, since these acronyms are often not straightforward.

I believe the acronym POND stands for

Picis  (latin for fish)
      Observation &
      Nurturing
      Device

This post was edited by Greg Elmassian at June 7, 2019 9:10 PM EDT

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• June 7, 2019 1:09 PM EDT
      • Dayton, OH

• Thanks

Greg - yeah, you are spot on with yr rendition of the acronym - particularly "Nurturing"!.  I can't tell you how much pleasure my family derived from hanging out around the last pond we built.  So much going on in there and my boys learned a lot about life through their interactions with it!

• June 7, 2019 3:18 PM EDT
      • Shut Up Rooster

• Thanks

By the way on the LGB track diameters, for years there were wrong measurements on R2 track, EVEN ON LGB LITERATURE.

R2 track is actually 1556mm diameter which is 61.26" which is darn close to 5 foot. 

Dan, please check the LGB site: https://www.lgb.com/fileadmin/media/lgb/produkte/produktinformationen/LGB_Gleissystem-Info.pdf

On the LGB site, R2 is listed as 1560mm (but actual measurement by many people gives the 1556, since I was interested in the REAL dimensions as I was laying out a REAL layout.)

1560mm is 61.42" still nowhere near the numbers you quoted. I spent several days tracking this down before, and as I said it was wrong even on LGB sites some time ago. It has been mostly corrected.

So whether you accept an actual measurement of 5 foot 1-1/4 inches or current LGB advertised 5 foot 1 and 4 tenths of an inch, it is not 4' 8" nor is it 5' 4"...

Please see this table on my web site: https://elmassian.com/index.php/large-scale-train-main-page/track-aamp-switches/lgb-track-a-switches

Greg

This post was edited by Greg Elmassian at June 14, 2019 10:41 AM EDT

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• June 7, 2019 4:37 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

I have seen mentioned that it was 4 foot 8 inch and also mentioned it was 5 foot 4 inch.

it was wrong even on LGB sites some time ago.

Hmm. I guess it was wrong if Dan saw those number listed in the past.

This post was edited by David Maynard at June 7, 2019 4:37 PM EDT

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• June 10, 2019 3:19 PM EDT
      • Dayton, OH

• Thanks

Had a nice first Garden Railway Society meeting this past Saturday at Paul (41 yr retired train engineer w' B&O) and his wife Debbie O'Connor's (building kit bashing/scale plant expert) expansive well appointed layout (over 1000'!)!  Learned lots and my wife and I had a nice visit with our gracious hosts.  There were lots of grandkids enjoying the running of trains with lots of "human tunnels" on display.

So, been doing some research and searching the interweb and was wondering if you all could point me towards a decent resource for learning the methods of rail bending.  I will be using 332 LGB brass rail and our Dayton Society has a Train Li double bender available to members so that is my preferred way for me to do the bending.

Thanks!

This post was edited by Sam Griffith at June 10, 2019 3:34 PM EDT
    • June 10, 2019 5:30 PM EDT
      • Shut Up Rooster

• Thanks

Honestly, the best way is get the bender and mess around with a couple of sections of track...

If you are bending Aristo track, take out all but 1 of the screws on each rail (from the underside...

Just play with it and you will get the hang of it.

Greg

• June 11, 2019 3:35 PM EDT

• Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO97JUPF9Vk

Shannon car Shops

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• June 11, 2019 5:00 PM EDT
      • Saint Johns, Florida

• Thanks

David Maynard said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO97JUPF9Vk

• June 11, 2019 7:09 PM EDT
      • Dayton, OH

• Thanks

Thanks David and Joe.  That was informative.  I hadn’t come across that video.  That looks like a well designed tool.  Definitely improved my confidence in rail bending! 

• June 11, 2019 10:12 PM EDT

• Thanks

After the first time I saw the video, I went and bought one for myself. At the time my railroad was already built, but I saw the future need when replacing track. I even used it to iron out a few rough patches (kinks) on my existing track. Its just so easy to use, unlike the single rail rail-benders.

Shannon car Shops

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• June 12, 2019 6:59 PM EDT

• Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37s2EAvTyS0

This post was edited by David Maynard at June 12, 2019 7:01 PM EDT

Shannon car Shops

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• June 21, 2019 8:10 PM EDT
      • Dayton, OH

• Thanks

Here is the latest rendering of my layout with an indicated scale (each square = 1 sqft) and I have approximated my gradients to reach the necessary elevations for overpasses/underpasses.  I will eventually create a cog rail up to the top of the “mountain” in a reversing loop back to the right/top side of the pond.

This post was edited by Sam Griffith at June 21, 2019 8:12 PM EDT
    • June 21, 2019 8:28 PM EDT
      • Shut Up Rooster

• Thanks

• June 24, 2019 1:56 PM EDT
      • Dayton, OH

• Thanks

Met some fine folks at the Carillon Park this weekend for the All-Things-Train related event, specifically hung out with the Miami Valley Garden Railways Society as their newest member.  The club has a Train-Li double rail bender which will prove to be helpful.  Also ran into some of the garden steam guys from the Cincinnati Garden Railway Club and they are having 4 separate open houses next weekend which I plan to attend.  Am loving getting my feet wet with this wonderful hobby!

Open to any comments you may have on my proposed layout.

Thanks!

• June 26, 2019 1:41 PM EDT
      • Dayton, OH

• Thanks

So, planning to order my supplies this weekend to get this project kicked off - just in time for my adult boys to visit from CA and help the old man push around lots of heavy stuff.  My initial purchase will be for the basic elements of my retaining wall which surrounds my elevated layout.  For this I am using 4x4x12" rough cut stone and I have estimated I will need 2.25 tons of it.  Also getting gravel to line the trench for the base of the retaining wall.  We have a nice large stone/building materials (no wood products) distribution store in north Cincy that has a tremendous variety of things to choose from.  i'll post a photo or two of my building blocks shortly.

stone.jpg (1.21 Mb)
      This post was edited by Sam Griffith at June 26, 2019 3:15 PM EDT
Forums General General Discussion

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google