Large Scale Central

Riveted tank car

So I was going to build a wooden vinagar car for my work train. But I aquired two shorty tanks. They are pretty generic at this point. But I think they would make a great pair of riveted tank cars from the turn of the century.

Does anyone have any resources for the frame for one. Dont want it on a flat car. I can get a rough idea from pictures but hoping for some resources for details.

John you’re slow …… Devon give him some time …he will post a pic for sure…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Oh I am sure. He is my goto “there’s a prototype for everything” guy. After posting this I came across a guy building one in 1:48 and has a blog about it. A “type 21” tank car which will give me about what I need.

He has some drawings and I can pretty much copy his work and get what I need. I even happen to know a guy who is 3D printing Andrews trucks, I might have to con him out of a couple sets. But that car is about perfect. making a pair of those would be great.

Thanks for the idea, Devon.

Two little flat cars with one truck under each one. (Like my articulating shack).

Dig one of my old 1:20.3 Accucraft tank cars out, take the tank (Already festooned with rivets) and

attach it to the flat cars. Instantly 7/8 scale!

That’s next on my list after I finish chopping on my Accucraft Goose. It will stay 1:20.3 with a few “improvements”

I am more into this style Devon(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

John Bouck said:

Thanks for the idea, Devon.

Two little flat cars with one truck under each one. (Like my articulating shack).

Dig one of my old 1:20.3 Accucraft tank cars out, take the tank (Already festooned with rivets) and

attach it to the flat cars. Instantly 7/8 scale!

That’s next on my list after I finish chopping on my Accucraft Goose. It will stay 1:20.3 with a few “improvements”

The two tanks I acquired were from Dick Whitney’s wife. Now you have me really thinking. Since I have two tanks. . .hmmm. . .one articulated dual tank car might be kinda fun.

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

I am more into this style Devon(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thats an interesting design. More or less just a set of center beams instead a boxy frame. Ideas Ideas. Thanks. Interestingly the same guy built a model of this one also so I have lots to go on.

Welcome to the dark side, Devon. After years of modeling prototypical 1:20.3 (Some pics in my album “Builds”),

I am really enjoying myself building 7/8" “What ifs.”

John Bouck said:

Welcome to the dark side, Devon. After years of modeling prototypical 1:20.3 (Some pics in my album “Builds”),

I am really enjoying myself building 7/8" “What ifs.”

Well my work train is just that, what ifs. Not prototype to copy. And I plan to just model some misfit cars where ever whimsy takes me.

Hopefully someone else here can zero in on the issues, but Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette did a series of articles on the tank cars on the D&RGW. There were both framed and frameless versions. I have the articles, but do to hurricane damage I am not able to access much train stuff… I will look this evening and see if there is any details in the 'A Century Plus 10".

Bob,

Thanks ahead of time if you can help. Sorry about the hurricane difficulties. But should you come up with stuff i would be grateful. I have a little bit of detail work on the blacksmith shop left to do and a special project I started for someone that I need to finish before I tackle these pair of tank cars. So no rush on my part. Just was sorting some stuff I aquired and came up with two identical tanks and my mind went to wandering.

Careful Devon. If you let it wander too far it may not come back home. That happens with my mind.

David Maynard said:

Careful Devon. If you let it wander too far it may not come back home. That happens with my mind.

Yeah we have to post notices on telephone poles everyonce in awhile. Thinking about getting it chipped.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

John you’re slow …… Devon give him some time …he will post a pic for sure…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I wanna see the tanks he lucked into first, then old chemo brain might be able to focus.

John Caughey said:

Sean McGillicuddy said:

I wanna see the tanks he lucked into first, then old chemo brain might be able to focus.

The tanks look very very similar to the ones in David Marconi’s picture. Shorter and fatter but almost exactly the same rivet pattern. I will post a pic when I get home.

For now I am really liking the narrow frame version in David’s picture as compared to the full frame cars. Bob Cope was able to get me some drawings of two different narrow frame tanks cars. These will not be copies of any particular prototype. My tanks are short I think I measured them at 7 inches long. I am thinking the entire car will be no more than 10"long. I can already see a few logistical issues to deal with, the frame sits between the wheels not over them. I have 8’ diameter curves and #3 turnouts in a couple spots. They need to be able to negotiate the curves without the wheels hitting. I was going to mount the coupler draft gear box between the frame rails but this would make for a fairly wide frame further hindering the ability of the truck to turn if the frame is between the wheels. So to narrow the frame I am thinking and sill mounted coupler or using the Kadee 912 short body mount gear box and then adapt the frame to be narrow between the couplers and then create a wider pocket for the coupler gear box. I’ll solve the problem just need to think on it. Dan is going to print me some Bettendorf trucks for them for me. ( as say them because this is a times two project).

BUTTTTTTTTT this may all be moot point because I still have John Boucks idea of an articulated double tank car on three trucks in mind. I will likely rough together something out of wood and spare bachmann trucks to see if I like the idea. That reall could be fun.

So John he needs a pic of that three truck articulated idea !

Thanks to John Bouck I see this in a tank car version

Damn it there is a prototype for everything.

Good one.

I found this

Image result for Early Railroad Tank Cars…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

How about articulated hoppers

I might rethink my indoor layout cars. I haven’t built any cars for the indoor yet. I am liking the three truck articulated idea. Would be excellent for my 30" diameter curves.