Large Scale Central

New Outdoor Layout in Sacramento Ca.

Hi Everyone,

The members of Sacramento Valley Live Steamers have just completed building an outdoor G scale layout.

We started in January and had our first trains running on the track by the beginning of April.

All the track was donated and so was most of the material.

We were asked whilst we were building what type of trains could run on the track.

Only Live Steam?? Battery?? Electric??

All are welcome, any train, any age, as long as you are having fun!!

There are plans for a second loop so we will end up with a folded dog bone of sought.

All curves are at least 10’ radius

Craig

Great project, where is it located? Sacramento is a big place.

i believe it is at the SV Live Steamers site at Hagan Park in Rancho Cordova. Looks like a place for the grandkids to take Grandpa, i.e., me!

Yes Greg, you are correct.

Rick, The layout is at Hagan Park in Rancho Cordova, on the east side of Sacramento.

We built it on the grounds of Sacramento Valley Live Steamers.

This is the ride on club for Sacramento.

The track is between two of the main lines, so whilst we run G scale trains, we can watch the ride on trains go by.

Craig

Welcome Craig

Craig,

Being familiar with the area that is where I assumed it was but others may need the additional information.

Thanks for posting, and come back with some run day pictures.

Rick

Will it be open during the Narrow Gauge Convention in Sept?

Jerry

Craig, that’s a nice suspended layout. I’m interested in the “T” risers (posts) used. Are the poles (steel/aluminum) available ‘off the shelf’ and already cut to size or were they cut and custom welded/bolted together? Also, what kind of material was used for the base board to mount the track on? And I assume that’s LGB (or equivalent) code 332 track? Thanks.

Bumping this one up in case Craig comes back…

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The pipe supports are 2 1/2” well drill casing pipe cut to length for us.

The tees are unistrut that is attached to the pipe with 1/2” allthread that is welded to the pipe.

All the support structure is unistrut.

The decking* is 1/2” Hardibacker board from Lowe’s.

By using the unistrut and allthread, this makes the deck adjustable from below.

Attached are photos of the pipe supports tee sections.

The deck is very sturdy and strong.

Craig

I can’t get photos to load from my photo app to the website.

Very frustrating.

Some how the photo above ended up on Mike Bentons page.

Im lost on how to attach photos.

Sorry

Craig

Craig Griffin said:

I can’t get photos to load from my photo app to the website.

Very frustrating.

Some how the photo above ended up on Mike Bentons page.

Im lost on how to attach photos.

Sorry

Craig

First you upload them into your Freight Shed, photo space given to you upon joining. Then you copy where they are, when opened, to your posts.

Craig the photo is in your freight shed. If you look at the link in your post there are two https inthe link if you delete everything before the second https then it works.

I have no idea where the first bit is coming from.

Mick

Photo inserting

1. Start by uploading your photos to a server. You have storage space in the Freight Shed on this web site.
  2. After they are uploaded, click on the file you want to open.
  3. Once it is opened, RIGHT click on the picture and select copy image location. DO NOT use the url in the address bar of your browser.
  4. Next click on the insert photo button in your post and paste the image location in the source line.
  5. Look at the dimensions. You will see them if you click on the first box (height). Make it 800 then click on the second box and it will automatically be correctly scaled.
  6. Then hit OK and your photo will be in your post.