Forum Sponsorsss

Forums General Track and Trestles
  • Topic: Bridge Replacement

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 13, 2019 11:39 AM EDT
      • Ormond Beach, Fl. 32174

• Thanks

Eric, I would think from your explanation that the safety guide is your main problem and would go back and readjust it to where it doesn't interfere with the cutting of the material and cause misalignment of your material. I have used a feather board in the past and they are very helpful especially when first starting your cutting experience and be come less so after your learning curve has caught up. They work better with solid materials like wood and might cause some problems with softer stuff. The type of saw you have with a reciprocating blade are not near as prone to safety problem as a circular saw. Good luck, you'll get it, Bill 

• May 13, 2019 2:35 PM EDT
      • Scottsdale, Arizona

• Thanks

Eric,

Looking at the saw you have it is basically a reciprocating saw turned over and placed in a table.  I have been a woodworker for over 40 years.  My experience with reciprocating saws is the blade will wander.  The use of a feather board will or may enhance this problem and you will not get a very straight cut.  I would check the fence.  Clamp it down and measure at the front edge of the table to the fence and at the back of the table to the fence.  They should be the same.  If not then the fence is out of alignment and should be adjusted so the distance is the same.  Also if the fence only clamps at one end (usually the front), push on the back of the fence (sideways) to see if there is any give.  If there is then this could also be the problem as the material wants to get larger at the back of the blade as you are pushing it through the blade.  My suggestion is to get a table saw with a rotating blade.  Make all of the adjustments as mentioned and use a good carbide tipped blade that does not flex.  Also my suggestion would be to use either Redwood or Cedar for your project.  Both are rot resistant and insect resistant.  If left unfinished they will both turn a nice grey color over time.

On my table saw I have ripped lumber consistently down to 1/8" (and even smaller) with no dimensional variance.

Colin 

• May 14, 2019 10:11 PM EDT
      • Kailua, HI

• Thanks

Colin,

I wanted to acknowledge your post and the sharing of your experience.  I am still using the excuse of visiting family to put all the above information into a way forward!  I'll put that here before committing time or cash.

Thanks again,

Eric

• May 15, 2019 4:50 PM EDT
      • Scottsdale, Arizona

• Thanks

Eric, thank you.  I hope my post helps.  In my opinion when you purchase a tool, purchase the best you can find for the budget you have.  Also tools that say they take the place of other multiple tools rarely are as accurate as any one of the tools they replace.  And yes Family does come first.  I have really enjoyed your posts of your railroad and the involvement of your children.  I wish I had had the time and money when my children were growing up to start a project like a garden railroad and get them involved as well.  My kids are now 34 and 30.  It wasn't until they were both grown and out of the house that I really started my garden railroad.

Also thank you to both you and Rooster for the "thanks" for my post.  I have expressed my experience and wisdom many times before only to be shot down by someone that thinks they know more on the subject at hand.  That is why I do not post very often.  Only when I do have an opinion that I think will help.  What I dislike the most is confrontation.

Anyway good luck with your bridge and railroad and keep the kids involved.

Colin

• May 15, 2019 6:35 PM EDT
      • Burke, Virginia

• Thanks

Good advice, Colin.   "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Bruce

http://jbrr.com/

• May 15, 2019 8:44 PM EDT
      • Highland, Maryland

• Thanks

Haha, that's a good one Bruce! I had to look it up, but worth it. 

And yeah, carry on Eric! I've got nothing useful to say, but I really enjoy your posts and family involvement.

I forget, what's CONUS again? Related to SWMBO? 

• May 15, 2019 9:12 PM EDT
      • Saint Johns, Florida

• Thanks

CONUS=Continental United States

Shut up Rooster

• May 15, 2019 9:23 PM EDT
      • Defending the State of Exile! ,

• Thanks

Colin Criswell said:

Eric,

Looking at the saw you have it is basically a reciprocating saw turned over and placed in a table.

Thank you for explaining what I was looking at. Never seen a critter like that before! When I looked at the picture of the saw (thinking it was a circular table saw) and reading Eric's comment about having trouble running through the safety guide I thought "Good Lord" NO WONDER! The whole thing looked rather scary to me as a circular saw but it still looks scary even as a band saw (to me anyway).

It's all good and keep up the work Eric as I personally enjoy your posts. Especially the pictures as they say more words than you can write.

• May 16, 2019 8:50 PM EDT
      • Scottsdale, Arizona

• Thanks

Rooster, it is not a band saw, it is a reciprocating saw (better known as a saber saw) flipped upside down and mounted under the table.  It would be useful as a scroll saw but not so much as a table saw.  A band saw should give you straighter cuts that this saw.

FWIW,

Colin

• May 19, 2019 3:18 AM EDT
      • Kailua, HI

• Thanks

Colin,

Thanks for the continued distance learning!  I have used spare time during the last week to reevaluate my strategy going forward.

1.  The tool.  I bought this "saber saw" last year as the only reasonable fit to budget and available space.  I did go to YouTube, and, yes, it recommended clamping it as you described, with a slight 1/8 offset at the back.
      2.  The material.  Redwood is available, but not in pieces I can jam in my FOCUS!  I will check Lowe's later this week for smaller lengths and / or cedar.  I think I saw this in the garden section.

In the worst case, I can use the material on hand and score it to look like individual timbers.  I did this last year for tunnel portals (pardon the recycled photo) and a bridge sort of thing:

I have made smaller cuts of uniform width with this saw, the rest of the bridge would go together per the referenced 2003 GR article, using short lengths to form the cross bracing.  The bridge is far enough back that the detail will be lost.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate drawing on the experiences of you and others.  I don't mind learning from mistakes, but it gets tedious after a while!  I'll see what Lowes has and update accordingly.

Aloha,

Eric

P.S. I've noticed most folks here use a tool not in my inventory called a "Brad Nailer." I am really hoping the hand powered ARROW brand ones are good enough for most projects.  My DREMEL failed, so my tool budget is in arrears.

This post was edited by Eric Mueller at May 19, 2019 3:21 AM EDT
    • May 19, 2019 3:24 AM EDT
      • Kailua, HI

• Thanks

Oh, and Cliff, I use CINCHOUSE (Commander-in-Chief House) in lieu of SWMBO.  It's a Navy thing...

• May 19, 2019 7:22 AM EDT
      • Saint Johns, Florida

• Thanks

Shut up Rooster

Forums General Track and Trestles

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google