Large Scale Central

What do you call this?!

Found this while browsing today:

Never seen such a thing.

After googling for “lgb rail truck and trailer” I found one that has been auctioned for $442. Here’s the description [link]:

LGB, Zelfbouw G - 20680/3081 - Diesel locomotive, Passenger carriage - Rail Truck with Passenger wagon

[Edited to add link]

It’s a neat concept, but I feel like the kingpin should have been set ahead of the rear axle of the “truck” for practical reasons relating to physics. I’m sure there’s a prototype for this somewhere…be interesting to see how it was done in 1:1.

I’m with you Rocky, I am not sure the laws of physics would allow this set up to function in the 1 to 1 world, without a thousand pounds of tractor weights on that front bumper(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

What do you call this?

i call it just cool!

A rail fifth wheel RV.

I call it another bucket list build

I agree with the 5th wheel placement. In the model world true physics tends to be an after thought. I have seen so many model Garretts where the boiler assembly is hung between the motors instead of pivoted above the motors.

Yea, its cool. But I have way too many unfinished projects as its right now. So Devon, it can be one of your “someday” projects.

Holy wheelies Batman!!! Although you probably couldn’t get enough model weight to cause a problem with the motor block weighing close to the weight of the trailer/ car to cause traction problem, a real world version would be a little light on the front and prone to lifting the front driver on curves and switches. Kind of neat looking concept though.

David Maynard said:

I agree with the 5th wheel placement. In the model world true physics tends to be an after thought. I have seen so many model Garretts where the boiler assembly is hung between the motors instead of pivoted above the motors.

Yea, its cool. But I have way too many unfinished projects as its right now. So Devon, it can be one of your “someday” projects.

Its in the bucket and thats all I am gonna say. I have a lot of things in the bucket and most will never see the light of day.

I didn’t notice it before but the truck has dropping side boards. It has me thinking about the Geese the Rio Grande had. This would be a more useful design I think.

Rocky Canyonero said:

It’s a neat concept, but I feel like the kingpin should have been set ahead of the rear axle of the “truck” for practical reasons relating to physics. I’m sure there’s a prototype for this somewhere…be interesting to see how it was done in 1:1.

It is actually practically the same as a railbus, where the front truck of a coach is replaced by a power truck. The Aristo railbus works the same way, as does their doodlebug.

For that matter, an RDC is also the same type of device.

Yeah but a railbus is a singular unit. While doing the same job as a railbus it’s a unique design in that it is a fifth wheel trailer and truck. The truck could serve other purposes. It’s really kind of an interesting idea.

Looks like a derail waiting to happen. Those light front wheels look like excellent climbers and on some of the roadbeds I’ve seen it would be frustratingly cute … for minutes.

Devon Sinsley said:

A rail fifth wheel RV.

Devon beat me to it… again…

Double post deleted

Need an Amtrak version

John Caughey said:

Looks like a derail waiting to happen. Those light front wheels look like excellent climbers and on some of the roadbeds I’ve seen it would be frustratingly cute … for minutes.

I’m with you on this one. Just sitting there its lifting the front end. Any poor track and it will have no problem riding up. It needs to have the weight on or even forward of the axle so it makes it front heavy.

Is it just me being crude or does the Siemens fifth wheel look like a sperm

Devon Sinsley said:

Is it just me being crude or does the Siemens fifth wheel look like a sperm

Its just you (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)Too much brain juice, I guess (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)