Large Scale Central

New Bridge, aka 5 Minute Project

We had a section of curve track running on a straight bridge, and it always bugged me.

How hard can that be. Around here we call that “A 5 Minute Project” which must be declared at the beginning to last only 5 minutes.

Here is the first proposal:

This way we will replace the heavy rusting metal bridge and reuse the old covered bridge.

This should work, just remove one concrete piling and the old flagstone.

NOTE: More than 5 minutes have passed.

Now we can see where the curved bridge will go.

You can see where the lead track used to be, and has now been moved towards the real River. The above picture shows that the lead track is now too short, and I will have to measure and cut a section of straight for the approach.

This is where it sits for now, a LONG 5 minutes later.

Now I have to go clean the carburetor on the snow blower and optimistically put it away.

Take that straight bridge and widen it a tad …

That shouldn’t be much more than 5 minutes …

Dang, so there IS a prototype for everything!

If there is a prototype John C. will find it. I don’t think I have stumped him yet.

More progress in between rainstorms.

The curved bridge is in. The covered bridge will probably not stay, I don’t like it there.

Nothing painted, and there is a small matter of a track connection. I did manage to eliminate a slight S-curve just before the tunnel. I don’t know why I did it in the first place.

This is looking back, and I see I forgot about fastening down the straight bridge!

This gives you a better idea of the overall project.

It’s rainy again so I was able to take time to post a progress report.

Looks good and I have to agree about the covered bridge, it just looks out of place with the big girder bridge there, may be a small creek that might freeze up in the winter was why the had covered bridges to start with could even use it for a road bridge, track looks good, Bill