Large Scale Central

Light weight logs for log cars

Hey guys,

Here are a few pictures of log loads I have made over the past couple months. I had make these from foam. They are then painted with acrylics. About 5 different colors on each log .

These are 13.5 " average for the ASM cars. 15 logs total weight 1 lbs 10 oz

Another Load 6 logs 2-2" 2-3" and 2-4" all 13" long.Total weight of the load 5oz

Ty

Those really look good and those are some big trees.

Nice! They look good.

Very realistic, Landrel. You have a good feel for colors and texture (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

There’s an artist at work here. Excellent looking jobs!

Those look great!

Those are beauts Landrel! Excellent bark carving and painting job.

What kind of foam are you using? And did it come in rounds, or did you have to turn each piece on a lathe, or…?

Thanks guys for all the comments.

The logs are made from extruded foam. I hand sand them to shape …No lathe.

I have been making these for about 3 years and the more I do the better i feel they are.

Here is a video if my first set . I was still working out the technique of making them .

Before these I was pulling around about 20 lbs of real logs…

https://youtu.be/ypDmM8z8DPE

The large log on that load would be about 10ft diameter in 1:20.3 scale

Your timing is perfect Landrel as i’m looking at making some logs for a car i’m building.

Landrel Brown said:

Thanks guys for all the comments.

The logs are made from extruded foam. I hand sand them to shape …No lathe.

I have been making these for about 3 years and the more I do the better i feel they are.

Here is a video if my first set . I was still working out the technique of making them .

Before these I was pulling around about 20 lbs of real logs…

https://youtu.be/ypDmM8z8DPE

Sweet. Landrel, what kind of foam is that, and where’d ya get it?

He has them on his website available.

I use the blue or pink extruded foam. Home Depot or Lowes. The green stuff is not very good for this.

But i do make them for others also…

I did some and used cedar 1" closet poles, ruffed them up and sand blasted which removes the soft grain and leaves the hard, then a little colored wash and they looked pretty good and were pretty light but were all the same diameter logs

Landrel Brown said:

I use the blue or pink extruded foam. Home Depot or Lowes. The green stuff is not very good for this.

But i do make them for others also…

OK, thanks. I was thinking you were maybe using the high-density stuff, which is hard to get. So I’m glad to see you’re getting such great results with the regular stuff.

Here is the first log i’m attempting to make for my pulpwood car . The core is made from blue foam board covered with a thin layer of Crayola Air Dry Clay. After I got the clay on the whole piece I used a toothpick to scribe lines in all direction to simulate the bark texture. This one is an experiment to see if all this effort is worth it. I have to make a lot of trees .

Made mine by drying weeds, dog fennel, worked great and weren’t too heavy, now the glue that’s another storypulpwood car