Large Scale Central

Re-scaling a Delton 2-8-0

I picked up this Delton 2-8-0 Consolidation for a very good price at a train show. I model an early steam (1880’s) narrow gauge railroad in 1/20.3 scale. This locomotive has the correct diamond smoke stake and kerosene head lamp to match all of my other locomotives. The only issue is the scale.

Here I show the engineer that came with the locomotive and a 1/20.3 scale figure. The solution is the replace the cab.

I picked up this Climax replacement cab kit. It only took a little alteration to make it fit well.

I added about an inch to the floor board length and 1/4 inch on each side. The kit came with different woods for the base and the trim. I used two different stains to exaggerate the colors. The boiler of the 2-8-0 is smaller than the Bachmann Climax so I used scrap from the kit to fill the gap. Note that the steps I added to the end of the floor boards turned out to be unnecessary and have been removed. The tender steps are in a great position to enter the cab.

The new cab is taller, longer, and just a bit wider. The original cab had the firebox sticking out the end of the cab, a look I have never liked. The new longer cab solves this too.

This view shows how the new cab sits on the expanded boards.

And a front view of the same.

The reassembled locomotive with the new 1/20.3 cab. This makes the overall locomotive a much smaller piece of equipment, and ideal for my narrow gauge line.

I wired the locomotive for battery operations while I had it apart. The next step is to letter it for GG&SB then weather it.

Happy railroading all :slight_smile:

Dave, It turned out pretty darn good!!

Jason

I like it, but shouldn’t tender be back a bit further?

And, its Delton.

Nice re model Dave(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Nice. I had the Aristo version of one of these. It was my first steamer probably 18 years ago. I sold it because it was not the scale I was running (1:29 at the time). Now I’m also modeling in 1:20 and seeing your update makes me wish I had kept it!

P.S. Don’t mind Maynard. He can’t help it.

David Maynard said:

And, its Delton.

Corrected. I tried to correct the topic title, but that update hasn’t shown yet.

Dave Acevedo said:

David Maynard said:

And, its Delton.

Corrected. I tried to correct the topic title, but that update hasn’t shown yet.

Only Benevolent Bob can do that, send him a message and allow for illness and a, gasp, job with more hours…

Want your old cab? I like 1:24.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Here is what you do with the old cab old cab

John Caughey said: Want your old cab? I like 1:24.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

John, Like Bill B posted, I re-purpose parts. Here is a boiler from a Bachmann Industrial (project link) I re-scaled that became a gondola load.

So do I, I was just asking…