Large Scale Central

redoing the reverse loops

r a while, I have been thinking about getting rid of my two reverse loops and making it into a folded dog bone. This allows me to get rid of two reverse loop switches. I found not all my stuff liked going through the spring loaded switches, even after trying different methods. I also found I never really used the reverse loops for what they were intended for.

Layout now

No photo description available.

upgraded track plan. Green is the new addition.

No photo description available.

I managed to get the track down to get an idea on how it will look. I got lucky and did not have to bend any track and was able to recycle some of the hand-laid track. The buildings will have to get moved around. This plan will also allow me to build a tunnel.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor

I started working on the tunnel using cinder blocks and pavers for the top. I used this method on my last layout and has held very well.

The holes were filled in with expandable foam so no dirt or critters tunnel through.

Image may contain: plant, shoes, tree, outdoor and nature

tunnel portals temporarily in

Image may contain: people sitting and outdoor

I started hand spiking the ties until I ran out of spikes.

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

You usually do that stuff while there’s a blizzard. Gettin mellow in your old age…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

What wood you using for your ties?

I actually liked the original track plan as it allowed the train to traverse up the mountain and back down but with constant monitoring of the reversing circuit so I can see why you want the newer plan, but I think you could have both with the addition of 2 switches. It’s neat being able to reverse the engine but some times it’s fun to just sit back and watch, Bill

Shawn Viggiano said:

I started working on the tunnel using cinder blocks and pavers for the top. I used this method on my last layout and has held very well.

The holes were filled in with expandable foam so no dirt or critters tunnel through.

I must be REALLY old fashioned. I prefer my track segments to be connected.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Shawn Viggiano said:

I started hand spiking the ties until I ran out of spikes.

And you say “I” have mental issues ???

I like it Shawn. It just goes to show that even great layouts can be improved on. I do agree with Bill that with 2 switches you could still have a reversing loop when you want it. It is good to have options.

I have a similar track layout with the switches fairly close. Since part of my layout with several switches was damaged, I’m thinking of taking 2 and adding the bypass for a Roundy Round merit badge. I still want to be able to turn trains and locos with out using the 5 fingered crane.

I like your change and understand the frustration, but since I weighted my lead trucks and I used the flop over function, the springs work as desired. Only the first wheels are affected, unlike the slip by, which touches every wheel.

Todd Haskins said:

I like it Shawn. It just goes to show that even great layouts can be improved on. I do agree with Bill that with 2 switches you could still have a reversing loop when you want it. It is good to have options.

Thanks Todd. I thought about keeping the switches but running will be much smoother without them. Its two less things I have to worry about. If I made use of the reverse switches Id say, I agree but in the three plus years I never really used them for what they were meant for. Ideally I need to get get rid of the aristo switches and go with something better but I just cant justify the price of Llagas creek etc.

Ken Brunt said:

You usually do that stuff while there’s a blizzard. Gettin mellow in your old age…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

What wood you using for your ties?

Hahaha I was waiting for the blizzard but it never came.

I use Cedar from Lowes usually but this batch is Italian cedar I got from a friend.

Bill Barnwell said:

I actually liked the original track plan as it allowed the train to traverse up the mountain and back down but with constant monitoring of the reversing circuit so I can see why you want the newer plan, but I think you could have both with the addition of 2 switches. It’s neat being able to reverse the engine but some times it’s fun to just sit back and watch, Bill

I thought about keeping the switches but in the three plus years I never really used them to reverse the trains. I’m more of a sit back and watch the trains run or run while I do work on the layout. I prefer smooth running and switches are 99% of the time the problem areas especially the Aristo.

Bruce D. Chandler said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

must be REALLY old fashioned. I prefer my track segments to be connected.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

The gap is for my General Lee live steam train. Needs somewhere to jump.

John Caughey said:

I have a similar track layout with the switches fairly close. Since part of my layout with several switches was damaged, I’m thinking of taking 2 and adding the bypass for a Roundy Round merit badge. I still want to be able to turn trains and locos with out using the 5 fingered crane.

I like your change and understand the frustration, but since I weighted my lead trucks and I used the flop over function, the springs work as desired. Only the first wheels are affected, unlike the slip by, which touches every wheel.

Thanks John. I find switches in general can be a pain and even worst when spring loaded. I rather be able to run my trains and relax without having to keep an eye on switches.

I like the new version. I am a “roundy round” as well, and the more switches on your main lines, the more you have to maintain.

I have only 5 on the mainlines, a dual track crossover and one where the yard enters the mainline.

This spring the yard and all it’s switches is going away, due to lack of use. I’m also thinking about removing

the crossover and having no switches at all. I can put a train on several places where the dual track is close to the edge of the raised layout.

I dunno. the only time I have a problem with my Aristo switches is when a chunk of ballast, or a small twig, gets between the point rail and the stock rail.

David Maynard said:

I dunno. the only time I have a problem with my Aristo switches is when a chunk of ballast, or a small twig, gets between the point rail and the stock rail.

I also tend to run smaller wheels and more fine scale wheels. They don’t take aristo switches well. The biggest issues was the spring loaded that would derail certain things .

John Bouck said:

I like the new version. I am a “roundy round” as well, and the more switches on your main lines, the more you have to maintain.

I have only 5 on the mainlines, a dual track crossover and one where the yard enters the mainline.

This spring the yard and all it’s switches is going away, due to lack of use. I’m also thinking about removing

the crossover and having no switches at all. I can put a train on several places where the dual track is close to the edge of the raised layout.

That was my thing as well why have switches if they never get used.

Well from what I can see from the pictures it is a very nice layout and I’m sure what ever you decide you will still have a beautiful layout that “you” will enjoy, Bill