Forums Shows and Conventions Conventions, Shows, Clubs and Get-Togethers
  • Topic: ECLSTS 2020

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 20, 2019 9:15 AM EDT
      • Southern Illinois
         
      • Posts
        9,043
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        409

      Jerry,

      Thank you for keeping everyone updated on this.  I've got it on our calendar, however it is in conflict with the last Car Card/ Waybill Ops at the Ridge Live Steamers.  However, one never knows how things will change.  Please keep posting on this.

       

    • June 21, 2019 9:07 AM EDT
      • Maryland
         
      • Posts
        240
      • Thanks
        38
      • Thanked
        67

      Hi Ric- You're welcome.  The dates may squeeze me as well on my trip south....but those were the only dates available to Star Hobby....we shall see.

      Enjoy your present wanderings.

       

      Jerry

    • June 21, 2019 11:38 AM EDT
      • Fort Myers Beach & Annapolis, Florida & Maryland
         
      • Posts
        2,193
      • Thanks
        64
      • Thanked
        330

      While the cow palace is used for several train shows, there is also the Exhibition Hall. WMVGRS did their shows in that.

      ____________________________________

       

        Pete

    • November 3, 2019 2:03 PM EST
      • Highland, Maryland
         
      • Posts
        1,929
      • Thanks
        1,139
      • Thanked
        795

      Re. the hotel, Jerry and I spoke with Dan last Tuesday. Dan (of Star Hobby) said they were about to solidify things with Embassy Suites in Timonium, just keep checking the web site.

       

      I just did, and yep, they're confirming ES as the hotel. I just booked a room there, and used the group code ECT, and the rate dropped from $157 to $119. 

       

      A couple big benefits with ES is the included full breakfast, and free happy hour in the evenings (which include snacks). 

       

      About the Drag & Brag room. Dan wasn't sounding like he could arrange that himself. He said we could always meet in the big atrium, but that's wide open and public, so I'm thinking we LSC fols try to do a conference room deal like usual.  

       

      Ric, Bob, Jer, If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

       

      BTW, while at the all-scales show last weekend and in the Star Hobby area (one of the only two large scale firms there), I spoke with Dan. Disclaimer: this is not official, just me passing on hear-say, because it's fun. Dan told me which halls they were using, and for those who are familiar with the Cow Palace, there's the smaller center call where you enter, and two enormous halls to the left and right. He said they'd get the center and left halls (not the right-side one). I think he mentioned they'd use the center for vendors, and the left hall for layouts... but that might change as they arrange things.

       

      From the MD State Fair site: "The Cow Palace is divided into three distinct areas/sections - 24,000 square feet, 62,400 square feet and 72,000 square feet." If the order of those is center-left-right halls, ECLSTS will have 96,000 sf of floor space. 

       

      I looked up York's Memorial Hall for comparison, where ECLSTS has always been held. It's east (our prior vendor) hall is 28,000 sf, while its west (prior layouts) hall is 29,000 sf. So if I'm guessing / understanding / calculating properly, the new Tim show will have 85% of the prior vendor space (seems ok; it wasn't all used at York), and over 100% more layout space. 

       

      Again, none of my opinions / comments here are official in any way. But the bottom line, as I see it, is that nothing is being down-sized with the move. There's actually more space, no matter how Star divides it up. And while I really liked the York Wyndham and its rates, the new hotel offers (again, just my opinion) good bang for the buck.

       

      Cliff

       

       

      This post was edited by Cliff Jennings at November 4, 2019 7:53 AM EST
    • November 3, 2019 6:48 PM EST
      • Rooster Works "Area 69" ,
         
      • Posts
        14,036
      • Thanks
        2,092
      • Thanked
        1,255

      Can I come ?

       

    • November 3, 2019 8:48 PM EST
      • Southern Illinois
         
      • Posts
        9,043
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        409

      Cliff, you said -

      "About the Drag & Brag Room. Dan wasn't sounding like he could arrange that himself. He said we could always meet in the big atrium, but that's wide open and public, so I'm thinking we LSC folks try to do a conference room deal like usual."

      The Holidome/Wyndham was not good for a common meet.  We tried that in the bar and even in room suites for a couple of years, but then we had incidents with a female bowling team and a tuba solo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, when we were vanquished to the Holiday Inn Express on the other side of town, with the Handicap rooms on the 7th floor (never could figure that one out), we tried the Board Room on the top floor and tried to shove too many people in to to small of a room.  Anyway, many of the layout crews had a party in the Lobby and then there was Larry Otis in a speedo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, except for the Larry Otis part, it was some of the best gatherings since Fred and I met in the bar in 1998 at a National Garden Railroad Convention. 

      .

      The Drag and Brag really works best under the K.I.S.S. principal.  I'd set up in the corner of the Lobby/Atrium, near the bar.  If a bunch of nuns show up in bowling team satin shirts or a guy starts playing a solo on a tuba, or Larry brings his Speedo, you might need to get a room for the Drag and Brag for the second year.  Just my thoughts.  As always be sure and take pictures if you can't live stream the whole event.  Booking photos also work.

      .

       

       

    • November 3, 2019 10:01 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        272
      • Thanks
        2
      • Thanked
        4

      Rooster ' said:

      Can I come ?

       

      No!

    • November 3, 2019 10:09 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        272
      • Thanks
        2
      • Thanked
        4

      Ric Golding said:

      Cliff, you said -

      "About the Drag & Brag Room. Dan wasn't sounding like he could arrange that himself. He said we could always meet in the big atrium, but that's wide open and public, so I'm thinking we LSC folks try to do a conference room deal like usual."

      The Holidome/Wyndham was not good for a common meet.  We tried that in the bar and even in room suites for a couple of years, but then we had incidents with a female bowling team and a tuba solo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, when we were vanquished to the Holiday Inn Express on the other side of town, with the Handicap rooms on the 7th floor (never could figure that one out), we tried the Board Room on the top floor and tried to shove too many people in to to small of a room.  Anyway, many of the layout crews had a party in the Lobby and then there was Larry Otis in a speedo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, except for the Larry Otis part, it was some of the best gatherings since Fred and I met in the bar in 1998 at a National Garden Railroad Convention.

      The Drag and Brag really works best under the K.I.S.S. principal.  I'd set up in the corner of the Lobby/Atrium, near the bar.  If a bunch of nuns show up in bowling team satin shirts or a guy starts playing a solo on a tuba, or Larry brings his Speedo, you might need to get a room for the Drag and Brag for the second year.  Just my thoughts.  As always be sure and take pictures if you can't live stream the whole event.  Booking photos also work.

      Stop picking on me!

      This post was edited by Larry Otis at November 3, 2019 10:12 PM EST
    • November 3, 2019 10:10 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        272
      • Thanks
        2
      • Thanked
        4

      This post was edited by Larry Otis at November 3, 2019 10:16 PM EST
    • November 4, 2019 7:10 AM EST
      • Not one of the WannaBe's,
         
      • Posts
        5,628
      • Thanks
        1,136
      • Thanked
        567

      Larry Otis said:
      Ric Golding said:

      Cliff, you said -

      "About the Drag & Brag Room. Dan wasn't sounding like he could arrange that himself. He said we could always meet in the big atrium, but that's wide open and public, so I'm thinking we LSC folks try to do a conference room deal like usual."

      The Holidome/Wyndham was not good for a common meet.  We tried that in the bar and even in room suites for a couple of years, but then we had incidents with a female bowling team and a tuba solo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, when we were vanquished to the Holiday Inn Express on the other side of town, with the Handicap rooms on the 7th floor (never could figure that one out), we tried the Board Room on the top floor and tried to shove too many people in to to small of a room.  Anyway, many of the layout crews had a party in the Lobby and then there was Larry Otis in a speedo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, except for the Larry Otis part, it was some of the best gatherings since Fred and I met in the bar in 1998 at a National Garden Railroad Convention.

      The Drag and Brag really works best under the K.I.S.S. principal.  I'd set up in the corner of the Lobby/Atrium, near the bar.  If a bunch of nuns show up in bowling team satin shirts or a guy starts playing a solo on a tuba, or Larry brings his Speedo, you might need to get a room for the Drag and Brag for the second year.  Just my thoughts.  As always be sure and take pictures if you can't live stream the whole event.  Booking photos also work.

      Stop picking on me!

      Why? Are you special? 
    • November 4, 2019 10:59 AM EST
      • Nashville, IL
         
      • Posts
        5,205
      • Thanks
        389
      • Thanked
        344

      David Marconi,FOGCH said:
      Larry Otis said:
      Ric Golding said:

      Cliff, you said -

      "About the Drag & Brag Room. Dan wasn't sounding like he could arrange that himself. He said we could always meet in the big atrium, but that's wide open and public, so I'm thinking we LSC folks try to do a conference room deal like usual."

      The Holidome/Wyndham was not good for a common meet.  We tried that in the bar and even in room suites for a couple of years, but then we had incidents with a female bowling team and a tuba solo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, when we were vanquished to the Holiday Inn Express on the other side of town, with the Handicap rooms on the 7th floor (never could figure that one out), we tried the Board Room on the top floor and tried to shove too many people in to to small of a room.  Anyway, many of the layout crews had a party in the Lobby and then there was Larry Otis in a speedo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, except for the Larry Otis part, it was some of the best gatherings since Fred and I met in the bar in 1998 at a National Garden Railroad Convention.

      The Drag and Brag really works best under the K.I.S.S. principal.  I'd set up in the corner of the Lobby/Atrium, near the bar.  If a bunch of nuns show up in bowling team satin shirts or a guy starts playing a solo on a tuba, or Larry brings his Speedo, you might need to get a room for the Drag and Brag for the second year.  Just my thoughts.  As always be sure and take pictures if you can't live stream the whole event.  Booking photos also work.

      Stop picking on me!

      Why? Are you special? 

      Only when he wears that Speedo....

       

      Course, everyone yells ""Don't look, Ethel"..........                           

    • November 4, 2019 4:14 PM EST
      • Burke, Virginia
         
      • Posts
        7,311
      • Thanks
        191
      • Thanked
        761

      Andy Clarke said:
      David Marconi,FOGCH said:
      Larry Otis said:
      Ric Golding said:

      Cliff, you said -

      "About the Drag & Brag Room. Dan wasn't sounding like he could arrange that himself. He said we could always meet in the big atrium, but that's wide open and public, so I'm thinking we LSC folks try to do a conference room deal like usual."

      The Holidome/Wyndham was not good for a common meet.  We tried that in the bar and even in room suites for a couple of years, but then we had incidents with a female bowling team and a tuba solo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, when we were vanquished to the Holiday Inn Express on the other side of town, with the Handicap rooms on the 7th floor (never could figure that one out), we tried the Board Room on the top floor and tried to shove too many people in to to small of a room.  Anyway, many of the layout crews had a party in the Lobby and then there was Larry Otis in a speedo.  Don't ask.  Anyway, except for the Larry Otis part, it was some of the best gatherings since Fred and I met in the bar in 1998 at a National Garden Railroad Convention.

      The Drag and Brag really works best under the K.I.S.S. principal.  I'd set up in the corner of the Lobby/Atrium, near the bar.  If a bunch of nuns show up in bowling team satin shirts or a guy starts playing a solo on a tuba, or Larry brings his Speedo, you might need to get a room for the Drag and Brag for the second year.  Just my thoughts.  As always be sure and take pictures if you can't live stream the whole event.  Booking photos also work.

      Stop picking on me!

      Why? Are you special? 

      Only when he wears that Speedo....

       

      Course, everyone yells ""Don't look, Ethel"..........                           

      ____________________________________

      Bruce

      http://jbrr.com/

       

    • November 4, 2019 5:08 PM EST
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        10,931
      • Thanks
        113
      • Thanked
        831

      Yes Larry is "Special". Those of who know him, know that all too well. But he is a fun, and somewhat harmless, kinda special.

       

      I don't play the tuba, but I did play the saxophone, and I still have it, somewhere around here. Would that do?

       

      As for Rooster.......

       

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • November 4, 2019 7:37 PM EST
      • Rooster Works "Area 69" ,
         
      • Posts
        14,036
      • Thanks
        2,092
      • Thanked
        1,255

      Larry Otis said:
      Rooster ' said:

      Can I come ?

       

      No!

      That's a shame as I was actually gonna hit Weavers of Wellsville on my way there for you. 

    • November 4, 2019 7:57 PM EST
      • Highland, Maryland
         
      • Posts
        1,929
      • Thanks
        1,139
      • Thanked
        795

      As the Larry-Speedo-Rooster conversation merges into one, I'm afraid this is all I have to contribute... 

       

       

      This post was edited by Cliff Jennings at November 5, 2019 8:13 AM EST
    • November 4, 2019 8:33 PM EST
      • Rooster Works "Area 69" ,
         
      • Posts
        14,036
      • Thanks
        2,092
      • Thanked
        1,255

      Larry who ?

       

    • November 5, 2019 6:16 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        272
      • Thanks
        2
      • Thanked
        4

      Ok, that’s it. I am going to buy a speedo wardrobe and that’s all I am going to wear at the show. I’ll get the original dry cleaned as well. Question is whether I should get my Back hair shaved or spiked?!

      For those of you that have lost their dinner. Oh well.

      This post was edited by Larry Otis at November 5, 2019 8:29 PM EST
    • November 6, 2019 5:58 AM EST
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        10,931
      • Thanks
        113
      • Thanked
        831

      I should get my Back hair shaved or spiked?!

      Permed

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • November 6, 2019 12:17 PM EST
      • Be Nice or STFU
         
      • Posts
        9,056
      • Thanks
        226
      • Thanked
        798

      After all this time, I think you can braid it...

       

       

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • November 6, 2019 6:57 PM EST
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        10,931
      • Thanks
        113
      • Thanked
        831

      Greg, it looks rather odd braided.....

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

Forums Shows and Conventions Conventions, Shows, Clubs and Get-Togethers

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google