Large Scale Central

Paint and Letter Stripping

Morning everyone-

So I’m wrapping up a decoder install and am starting to plan my next project. I’m looking at turning a Norfolk Southern Aristo 100 Ton coal hopper into a Burlington Northern paint scheme. Good news is both cars are black. All I really need to do is change railroad name and reporting marks.

I’m aware of soaking a car/engine in 91% isopropyl alcohol to strip the paint. What I’m wondering is has anyone being able to remove just the railroad name and reporting marks? In HO scale I’ve used Walther’s Solvaset to strip reporting marks and leave the paint alone. Not sure if this trick will work for this project, looks like the Norfolk Southern lettering is painted on.

Try the Purple stuff.Image result for purple stuff cleaner

Purple stuff works great, not fast but works

With Purple Stuff I’m guessing just spot treat the names/markings I’m wanting to remove?

Guessing put it on, let it sit for a bit, use a tooth pick or similar to see if its coming up, wash rinse repeat as needed?

looks like the Norfolk Southern lettering is painted on.

Most of the lettering on our trains is applied by paint pads and it is hard to get off. Even if it comes off, you may end up with ghostly versions of the letters, as the surface won’t be quite the same - which may or may not be a good thing, for your cars.

Guessing put it on, let it sit for a bit, use a tooth pick or similar to see if its coming up, wash rinse repeat as needed?

Basically yes. If you assume you will have to respray then it is much easier. 600 grit applied wet will get the paint off, as will paint stripper (though test it first to see if it demolishes the plastic.) Auto brake fluid and the stuff they sell for smaller gauge paint removal will also work.

This question comes up regularly, so I’d recommend you do a site-specific Google search: try “site:largescalecentral.com removing paint letters” (114 results) or “site:mylargescale.com removing paint letters”.

I have used “Super Clean” in the past with great success. It is not fast.

Best to soak a cotton ball let it soak. It takes time, but it works.

Tom