Large Scale Central

American Mainline by Accucraft Dead?

So reading about USA trains heavyweights got me to wondering about AML. I know they once indicated a Gunderson hi cube and they still list the GP60/M on their website but really it has been there like forever and no where in sight.

I am guessing that AML pretty much is a dead end line now for Accucraft.

Too bad I think a really modern diesel that could look alright on 8ft curves would have been a seller.

The hi cube boxcars have been on the market for quite awhile now. But I do think the GP60 was shelved. Accucraft would appear to be very cautious in their marketing. I just don’t think they got enough pre orders on the GP60. That’s on us.

I am guessing that AML pretty much is a dead end line now for Accucraft.

1/29th had an internal champion at Accucraft, but he died a few years ago (I believe) and AML hasn’t budged since. Not to say they won’t get resurrected, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Yep the 1:29 line came about from almost the sole energy of Fred Devine. With Fred gone, there is no one else there to champion 1:29 and they probably also have their hands full with the Accucraft - Aster joint venture.

Greg

Anyone know how successful the covered hoppers that AML made compared to the other modern stuff? I keep thinking about getting one, but it has so much wrong to represent the prototype, it would almost be easier to scratch build.

I have one AML boxcar, and it is nicer then any of the Aristo boxcars I have. I would like to see that line continue, even if its only in short runs.

RLD has an ad in the Spring 2020 GR that mentions the AML GP60s. Are they coming back from the dead, or is it a fluke?

According to the person I talked to at the last convention (Oregon) they are indeed intending to make it. I met with a young man whose last name is Chen, I believe he was the son or nephew of Bing Chen, the owner/president of Accucraft.

Greg

Interesting… I wonder how well they’ll work. Accucraft electric locos aren’t known for being good runners. I hope the GP60 will be different.

All new design for motor block, I gave him my experiences with other manufacturers as examples, the good and bad points of the USAT and Aristo blocks, which is what they used for models.

Remember that they chose a 2 axle so it would be a simple gearbox for their first standard gauge diesel

Reading on Facebook there are signs that it is in production. how soon? not sure, but Robbie at RLD says they are on. Not sure if I will pre order, but a new BNSF swoosh or a Warbonnet would be really nice on my layout. Will have to see what roadnames are put out.

Knowing Accucraft, it will only be roads that had the prototype, no Santa Fe red and silver warbonnets ha ha!

Wait! Santa Fe did indeed have them in that paint scheme! Well what do you know!

Greg

Greg I see a couple here in Phoenix, I drive to work along Grand Ave which is along side the BNSF and their local that interchanges with the Arizona Western has 1 or2 in the consist each day. Yes they look just as worn as that one, in fact it may be that one. also at the intermodal facility they have a Non swoosh loco to move the cars in and out for staging, also with old weathered paint.

Interesting this seems to have been an on again off again project for what six or so years?

Yep, but that is not unusual… Aristo had some with the same span, and were finally produced.

Aristo began talking about the Consolidation in 2005, finally delivered in 2011, one of their best to prototype steamers.

I think it has been exacerbated by the passing of Fred Devine, the 1:29 champion, besides the other common factors in our hobby. They are not used to making motor blocks either.

They say it is coming.

Greg

They are being made this time, already in the works for sure !

Rex, here’s the secret prototype

Are they going to do the B-Unit as well?

That would be a great suggestion, don’t know how to contact them to get the message across though.

Greg