Large Scale Central

1930-40 City Water tower

Finally got my city water tower finished, it has a solar powered blinking red Led on the top

CWTsignageon the layout

Nice looking tank, Bill.

Dan Hilyer said:

Nice looking tank, Bill.

Thanks Dan, now I can get started on my mason bogie

Good work, Bill. Very convincing.

John Passaro said:

Good work, Bill. Very convincing.

Thanks John

Looks good, rust streaking adds realism

Mike Wlez said:

Looks good, rust streaking adds realism

Thanks Mike it was a very long build because of the electronic problems and me being stubborn but happy with the out come, Bill

Bill

A very nice water tower, what construction method is your tower, it looks very life like, is a close up of tower possible, looks very impressive

Dennis

Really nice, Bill!

Now you just need “Billy Bob loves Charlene” in John Deer Green, painted on the side of the thing. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

tower bent

Dennis Rayon said:

Bill

A very nice water tower, what construction method is your tower, it looks very life like, is a close up of tower possible, looks very impressive

Dennis

towerit was a yard ornament I found at a garage sale, Bill

Bill Barnwell said:

tower bent

towerit was a yard ornament I found at a garage sale, Bill

A very nice bit of repurposing. Wish I could get my husband to have that sort of vision of what could be…

Sophie B

Dismal Creek Railroad

Back in early 2018 I built a 1930-40 era city water tower which was not available on the large scale market and In my usual style I used what I could find for construction. I had a lawn ornament that was 3’ high and with a little bending was able to make it fit my needs, most of my construction time was taken trying to find a way to put a red blinking light on the top that would be solar powered. Not sure how long that took but you can read the earlier story if you wish. Being as the tower was made of a metal wire I sand blasted it and painted it with POR paint and then sprayed Rustoleum spray galvanize over the whole thing and placed it outside. The blinker worked better than I hoped and would flash from dusk till dawn. Then a sickness sort of put me out for about a year in 2019 but the CWT kept flashing. I discovered about 2 months ago that the blinking light only lasted a very short time and was in need of repair. The tower looked pretty much like it did when I put it out but had turned a rusty brown color and upon picking it up I found that it had changed more than in color but also in loss of material and after taking it apart have found that I believe it is beyond repair. The tank is still good and the walk around is usable also the ladder, but the tower structure is shot. Think I shall have to tune up my soldering skills and make another tower of probably brass or copper, so stay tuned for an update, Bill PS that is after I finish the mini heisler!!!

Life in the tropics! Nice to see you back in the saddle, Bill!