• Topic: The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 13, 2020 9:57 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Ric Golding said:

Great work and great modeling.

Doc, look back at the black and white picture of the station.  Not on tie showing in the ballast, dust and dirt.  Love that look.  Hard to duplicate.

I agree Ric. That picture was taken in the 1920's the era I am modelling. I am really trying hard to figure out how to replicate that look. Even the parking lot with the old cars blends right in to the tracks, no barriers, safety rails or any modern day parking bumpers. Quite the challenge ahead.   Doc Tom

• February 21, 2020 9:08 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

I thought I would switch tracks this week and make some little people to populate the Linville LDE.

I started with everyone's favorite “Tweetsie” engineer, Mr. Sherman Pippin.

Shapeways 3-D printing makes a very nice rendition of this iconic figure. With paint, paint washes, and dry brushing I created my model of Mr. Pippin.

I did not want to stop with Mr. P and have attempted a recreation of Mr. Cy Crumley, a beloved conductor on the ET&WNC RR. Here are Messers Pippin and Crumley posing in classic railroad photos with two friends from Germany Helga and Heidi (Orange plastic Preiser figures with paint jobs.).

Shapeways was nice enough to make a working man Mr Pippin shoveling coal.So I put him to work.

The story goes that Mr. Pippin, always a kind gentleman, offered to shovel coal for Fireman Fred when his back was out. All Fred had to do was drive the locomotive. Sherman did holler some instructions to Fred above the noise of the panting locomotive.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

• February 21, 2020 9:42 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama

• Thanks

Nice personnel addition to the railroad, Doc.  Looks like Mr. Pippin did a little of everything on the RR.

• February 22, 2020 8:35 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Dan Hilyer said:

Nice personnel addition to the railroad, Doc.  Looks like Mr. Pippin did a little of everything on the RR.

Thanks Dan. Yes he was a hard worker. He worked for the railroad for several decades.  Doc Tom

• February 23, 2020 8:05 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Helga and Heidi from Germany are moving to Linville North Carolina. Being rather affluent, they have their brand-new T-Model in tow behind the ET&WNC RR passenger train.

Conductor Cy Crumley knows just the place outside of Linville to let then get a good glimpse of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

While quite a stunning view, Heidi would rather play in the car.

These are some of the many trees I've been working on this weekend to give the layout a mountainous look.

The layout has sure come a long way from the blue foam stage.

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Forums Modeling O / On30

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google