Large Scale Central

Cheap R/C + battery options

Are there any r/c systems for $100 or less? (throttle and receiver) I don’t need anything fancy, just speed control and maybe reverse direction. Thank you for your suggestions.

EDIT: I intend to install this in is a critter. I don’t need anything with all the fancy functions, just simple r/c to have it run around. I already have an AirWire receiver and throttle, but I can’t justify putting in such a fancy system just for a critter. So, I’m looking for simple control that costs less than the actual loco itself, which was around $130.

My favorite guy here in the usofa;

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/store/p48/RailBoss_4_R%2FC.html#/

John Caughey said:

My favorite guy here in the usofa;

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/store/p48/RailBoss_4_R%2FC.html#/

I agree with john, good people and product

My railroad is indoors and I use the G-Scale Graphics RailBoss4 in my 9 locos. I have 3 transmitters so I’ve divided their addresses between those loco’s receivers. I rarely run more that one engine at a time so that hasn’t been an issue.

They have proven to be trouble free and quite cost effective. They are very easy to install, configure and operate. Del Tapparo has been very responsive and helpful for the few questions that I have had.

Hi Joe, I do not offer a system under $100. The RCS systems range from $141 to $191 then add a battery and sound. https://www.rcs-rc.com/pages/Battery%20R/C. I sell mostly the Revolution and RailPro which are full functioning with sound systems.

If you have time, stop by my booth at the East Coast Show on March 22-23 in York, PA. I can sow you other options.

Don

www.rcsofne.com

If you want to go really cheap and have motor control only (no independent lights, smoke or sound) look at the low-cost ESC’s available from China on Amazon and other places. Mate with a cheap Orange or Deltang receiver and transmitter and you can probably have simple power control (similar to track power functionality) for around $75 plus battery.

Personally I think you will thank yourself later if you invest around twice that and get a system from either Del or Don that will give you many more functions.

Thank you Jon and Don for your advice. I probably should have specified in the OP, but the loco I intend to install this in is a critter. I don’t need anything with all the fancy functions, just simple r/c to have it run around. I already have an AirWire receiver and throttle, but I can’t justify putting in such a fancy system just for a critter. So, I’m looking for simple control that costs less than the actual loco itself, which was around $130.

Find a cheap R/C toy at walmart or the like and strip out the R/C or maybe at Alibaba’s Emporium.

Joe Loll said:

Thank you Jon and Don for your advice. I probably should have specified in the OP, but the loco I intend to install this in is a critter. I don’t need anything with all the fancy functions, just simple r/c to have it run around. I already have an AirWire receiver and throttle, but I can’t justify putting in such a fancy system just for a critter. So, I’m looking for simple control that costs less than the actual loco itself, which was around $130.

Joe - if you are willing to roll your own these two articles will give you a place to start - both work well but the exact units for the second one may not be readily available as Chinese suppliers change products quite often!

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Articles/RadioControl-LED-8Amp/index.htm

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Articles/RadioControl_multi-channel-RF/index.htm

Both can be built for less than $10 + the cost of a battery.

dave

Hello Joe.

My entry level R/C would fit the bill and you would be able to use it to drive 2 x locos at the same time.

EVOLUTION R/C Package deals.

All RCS systems use a proper knob to control speed and direction.

Push-buttons are only used for triggering sound system functions.

For $90 trainli has a xmitter/receiver and can be programmed for different frequencies.

https://www.trainli.com/trainline-rf-ctrl-p-279

Each unit comes with its own FOB and can be reprogrammed. You need to use the correct FOB for each engine as these are tuned to each other, 1 to 1!!!

Dan, that system is certainly a possibility. It is certainly within the price range. I’m not a huge fan of the controller, because of its size, as I could loose it. If I could attach a lanyard to it some how, then I would have a better chance of keeping it. I’m also considering Deltang, and at some point later on I would like to try Dave’s light dimmer system. If anyone else has more ideas, please post it.

why not consider the 1.5 amp, 12v CVP products microdecoder, which runs from your airwire throttle.

Greg, the only problem with that is I have a 14.8 v battery I am looking to use, so it will not handle the voltage.

Joe Loll said:

Dan, that system is certainly a possibility. It is certainly within the price range. I’m not a huge fan of the controller, because of its size, as I could loose it. If I could attach a lanyard to it some how, then I would have a better chance of keeping it. I’m also considering Deltang, and at some point later on I would like to try Dave’s light dimmer system. If anyone else has more ideas, please post it.

Joe, I’m using Deltang through a UK supplier. Do you know of a US-based source?

No John, I was thinking about RC Trains UK. They have U.S. prices and include shipping.

Joe Loll said:

No John, I was thinking about RC Trains UK. They have U.S. prices and include shipping.

Yeah; that’s where I get my parts. Phil is a great guy. But, don’t expect things to arrive quickly by any means!

Are there any r/c systems for $100 or less? (throttle and receiver) I don’t need anything fancy, just speed control and maybe reverse direction. Thank you for your suggestions.

Joe, I have a number of small locos and I have been reluctant to spend $$ on a control system. Here’s a couple of systems I have used that cost less than $100.

1. Bluerail. Invented for HO and partnered with Bachmann, and uses your smart phone as the TX. $90 for the RX. [Don’t believe Greg when he says you can’t read it in sunlight. His So-Cal sun is very bright, but just do what you do to read texts - turn so your shadow is on the screen!!] I have one of these in a small loco powered by a Bachmann tram 0-4-0 motor block, and it works. It cuts out at 1.5-2amps, so (a) don’t expect to pull much and (b) email support for info on turning off back-emf.

2. My Deltang TX kit cost about $30 some years ago, and I can get DSM2 RX for $6 - $11. An ESC from RCS (Viper 10-15) or the UK is about $54 AUS ($39 today). The basic Deltang does not have much range, so I would suggest spending a little more on one of Tony’s RCS TX boxes.

3. I found that 12V LED strips can be controlled with a key fob remote - about $20 for the kit. IR only (line of sight) and I do not know what happens if you supply 14.4 (16.8V when fully charged.) [I note they are available at 2amps for $23 with 33’ range wireless also.]

Guess I will chime in here. You could get a Railpro LM-3 $59 and a CI-1 RailPro Computer Interface $40. There are a couple of caveats:

1. The LM-3 is really for HO scale but like Pete said about the bluerail board it’s only a couple amps but should be fine for a critter. I have one in a custom rail truck I built using a Hartland Mack power truck.

2. The CI-I is a USB module that plugs in a Windows PC or Laptop and you use an app that simulates the handheld controller. This may be not ideal for you.

Note: This IS a fancy system! You can choose the locomotive by clicking on an actual picture you take of your model. There are 6 light control circuits with a bunch of effects Ditch, Mars, Strobe etc. and it’s 2-way RF so you see the current state of everything as well as the battery level.

I strongly recommend you speak with Don Sweet and see it in action if you are going to York.

https://www.ringengineering.com/RailProProducts.htm

You might try my “Simple Critter Control”. It is cheap, small, and does the job.