Large Scale Central

Ozark miniatures web site.

I need to order some supplies from Ozark Miniatures. When I go to the web page and set up order and go to pay, it tells me it is not a secure site… can anyone tell me if it is ok to go ahead and follow thru with the order?.

Not secure means that your information isn’t encrypted. That means a snooper or hacker could possibly see the information, like your credit card number. Personally, I have ordered through insecure sites before, I usually pay those places with Paypal if I can. If I can’t, then I watch my credit card transactions closely for the next couple of months.

What if you called and placed your order over the phone ?

David Maynard said:

Not secure means that your information isn’t encrypted. That means a snooper or hacker could possibly see the information, like your credit card number. Personally, I have ordered through insecure sites before, I usually pay those places with Paypal if I can. If I can’t, then I watch my credit card transactions closely for the next couple of months.

Yeah but, neither Firefox nor Chrome would open Ozarks for me … security threat.

I noticed that as well a few years ago… So I use PayPal. Haven’t had a problem, since PP is secured.

It’s worse, Ozark has an invalid certificate, the certificate they have is considered insecure, i.e. they bought a cheap certificate that cannot “prove” it is secure.

All they have to do is spend about $75 to fix this, heck I have a proper secure certificate for my personal site, surely a business can afford one.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.ozarkminiatures.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Websites prove their identity via certificates, which are issued by certificate authorities. Most browsers no longer trust certificates issued by GeoTrust, RapidSSL, Symantec, Thawte, and VeriSign. www.ozarkminiatures.com uses a certificate from one of these authorities and so the website’s identity cannot be proven.

You may notify the website’s administrator about this problem.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

What if you called and placed your order over the phone ?

Haha have you ever tried to call them. Its a crap shoot with them. Sometimes you get lucky and they answer or call back but might take a week. Most times you dont get anything. lol

I also use my paypal account with no issue. I have only ordered from him twice but both times no issues.

Maybe this post string should be sent to Dave at Ozark?

Encourage him to get a new certificate that is recognized as authentic and “root traceable” by Chrome and Firefox. Having this stuff pop up when someone goes to the web site cannot be good for business.

Greg

Maybe this post string should be sent to Dave at Ozark?

In my experience, these things happen at Ozark when Dave is incapacitated - again.

I called them yesterday and they said that they are working on it. the guy told me that on the main page he will post a note saying that it is secured. The security that they have right now is not up to the standards but they will get that certificate in the next couple of weeks. But all in all he told me that it is safe to buy from their website. But other than that you can called them and place the order and pay through PayPa.

I would tend to believe him, that he bought a certificate in good faith, but got a cheap one, and then Chrome and Firefox started tightening their security.

Also, it’s pretty clear that certificates from GeoTrust, RapidSSL, Symantec, Thawte, and VeriSign HAVE been “hacked” and cannot always be trusted.

For now to be ultra cautious, I would use paypal, and when doing that, make sure you see the HTTPS in your web browser when the site switches you there…

Greg

Unfortunately just because someone has/runs a web site does not mean they know what they are doing. Web sites like WIX and programs like Frontpage make generating a web site real easy without any concept of what is going on behind the scenes. As for purchasing such as a certificate…trust, but verify.

Gee I thought Symantec, and VeriSign were some of the better ones.

Well,

After rereading this thread, I defied Firefox (Ozark’s certificates are still not trusted) and went ahead and ordered, through PayPal, some parts.

By the way,

I did check and confirmed the https: when I was redirected to the PayPal site. Thanks Greg, I feel a little more confident about the transaction.

I’ll let you all know what happens.

Adam

Heck, I’ve bought stuff 3 or 4 times with PP since this post came out. No problems.

Just remember, it isn’t Amazon Prime. He ships once a week.