Large Scale Central

Spent nuclear fuel cars

As a companion to my USN 65 Tonner project, I’m also beginning work on the spent nuclear fuel cars that the Navy used to transport submarine fuel to Idaho. This is the principal rolling stock that we see through Kittery when subs are decommissioned.

So far, I have modeled the top of the flask in Fusion360. I plan to have this milled from aluminum.

Here’s an album of photos from the most recent move out of Kittery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ereuter/albums/72157659886155903

Are the cooling fins going to be milled as well?

That’s the hope. The guy is evaluating the depth vs. width of the cuts to see if it’s feasible. I may have to reduce the depth.

Neato! I assume you will also model the grey caboose?

Eventually. Probably the depressed center flats first. Since I’m modeling the switcher, it’s more of a yard job.

Interesting as the spent fuel containers look different from the ones I see locally. Are cooling fins necessary on “spent fuel” containers as the ones I have seen do not have them ?

Not an expert only asking ?

My understanding is that these are specifically for submarines, and that the fins are for cooling, as the material is still decaying. The other style, used for surface ships, has a smooth horizontal flask. I’m not an expert, either, but have collected a lot of info on them over the years.

Eric,

what is the max dim of this piece? I may be able to 3d print (SLA) this if we can hollow out as another option.

AL P.

Thanks, Al. It’s about 105 mm diameter.

What printer do you have? I have an SLA printer in my 6-month plan. Looking at the Form2.

I love unusual cars. Cant wait to see this develope

Eric, how did your presentation in Las Vegas turn out? I don’t know if there was a follow-up, or if I missed it. I’ll bet you did just fine.

Oh, I found the old thread and watched some of the youtube movie…looks like you done good. Congrats! Way over my head though!

I’m with Devon , I love unusual cars too ! Looking forward to seeing your progress and finished product .