Large Scale Central

LGB 2-4-0

What are peoples thoughts on the U.S. style LGB 2-4-0? (reliability, pulling power, problems/issues)

Thanks for your input.

My Forney does pretty well. I think the number is 27253, but you can verify that on my website. (Im at work.)

Is there something specific you’re hoping to do with it?

Thanks John, but I don’t think it’s a forney. I am looking for info on one of these:

the one pictured is 20232 was build in various road names, I have no operational info on it, but you could call TrainLi and I’m sure they could help you, Bill

I have a very second hand one that was given to me, missing all of its circuit boards which didn’t matter as I run dead rail. I fitted the same battery that my Kalamazoo 4-4-0 uses and I can say the LGB is a big battery power hog. Must have a very inefficient motor compared to the usual Buhler used in the German production drives. Those run nearly 3 hours on a charge, as does the 4-4-0, but the 2-4-0 eats the battery in an hour or less. Other than that its been dead reliable, pulling a modest load of 3 Kalamazoo short passenger coaches, of which 2 have interiors and figures added making them a tad heavy(near the limit of traction for the 4-4-0). I have read to keep the loads light to modest to protect the drive as its not as robust as the one used in the Stainz and such that share that motor block. Mike the Aspie

That picture is of a 0-4-0, but you have the thread on a 2-4-0, although I understand they are similar.

Greg

They are the same Greg, just some lacked the pilot truck. The drive is the same in both and is vastly different than the bog standard “Stainz” style motor block.

“”

The 2-4-0 uses the same 62201 motor that over 60 per cent of all LGB locos use. And the 62204 is the same motor with a longer shaft.

Therefore if the engine is using excessive power then the motor most likely is bad!!! Esp. if all the boards have been removed.

Greg Elmassian said:

That picture is of a 0-4-0, but you have the thread on a 2-4-0, although I understand they are similar.

Greg

Look again closely. You can see the pilot truck port wheel just behind the cow catcher! It’s definitely a 2-4-0.

Joe Zullo said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg

Look again closely. You can see the pilot truck port wheel just behind the cow catcher! It’s definitely a 2-4-0.

If you go to GSC and search LGB motor repair and testing. it will bring up an article by Neil Robinson on repairing and cleaning LGB motors, following these instructions I have saved 3 motors from the bone yard, Bill

XX

I reckon they are great little locos.

They run well with a nice sound system.

Plenty of room in the tender makes them easy to convert to battery R/C too.

oops, yes the pilot truck is almost invisible! my bad. To the original question, not much pulling power, and adding weight is probably not a good option for the motor and drive train.

Greg