Large Scale Central

WSRR Work Caboose

I wanted to continue my work on the work caboose so I am moving over here to finish it up. Here is a link to the build log: Work Caboose. The first thing I want to do is get the logos and lettering added. I think I previously mentioned that I had Stan Cedarleaf print my decals and he did a great job. if any of you are looking for someone to print decals for you, Stan is your man. He was very, I mean very responsive and had the decals in the mail in less than 24 hours from my initial contact. As I told Stan, doing business with him was like a breath of fresh air, very refreshing. Stan is also a sponsor here, so give him a call if you need his services.

Ok, back to the decals. This work caboose and a few other cars I am starting to work on will belong to a small logging line owned by Waverly Southern RR named Brown Dog Timber & Lumber Company. I created 2 logos that are exactly the same except for the general shape. My first task is to decide which one I want to use so I am posting pictures here to get some feedback on what y’all think. Now, I know in the end it is up to me and my tastes, but I really do want some constructive feedback if any of you have a preference of one over the other. First some ground rules: Colors can’t change nor can the fonts, its just a matter of the shape of the logo.

The first one up is the diamond logo. This is the one I prefer, but I have a feeling it will be difficult to place on a lot of cars just due to its size and shape. Also, the logos in the photos below are just paper taped on with scotch tape, so ignore the overall placement and the tape.

Next is the oval. I think this one will be easier to place than the diamond.

I also created some decals with just the company initials to use in strategic locations or when the full size logos are just to big.

Whatcha think? Any thoughts and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Right off the first thought is the diamond will be easier to get perfectly horizontal Using the points as reference points. Other than that it’s all good to me I like both… I know that is for that vote of Ehh!

Right off the first thought is the diamond will be easier to get perfectly horizontal Using the points as reference points. Other than that it’s all good to me I like both… I know that is for that vote of Ehh!

A work caboose is low on the company totem pole, a non revenue car on it’s last legs of use.

Initials and nothing fancy … are my thoughts

edit to add: Permanent marks on the car frame, old and faded logos under faded paint on the box and bin sides …

Also if the box was chopped or bashed to fit, the faded paint may only reveal a partial logo … it’s the little things that tell the story. Have fun and let the mind wander. Work cars are the last use, how did they get there?

I’m thinking diamond but only because it will be waaaay easier to cut it out with little to no extra clear border :-). As I’m sure you are planning, a healthy dose of grime and dust are suggested…

Thanks guys. Just the kind of info I was looking for. And yes, I plan to “attempt” to fade and weather the logos along with the rest of the car (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)John, I do have the car markings (lettering) ready to go so they will be added and weathered also.

John Caughey said:

A work caboose is low on the company totem pole, a non revenue car on it’s last legs of use.

edit to add: Permanent marks on the car frame, old and faded logos under faded paint on the box and bin sides …

John, are you suggesting just the initials on the car frame along with the other markings and no logo on the body itself? I am ok with that path too and do have the lettering for that.

Dan Hilyer said:

Thanks guys. Just the kind of info I was looking for. And yes, I plan to “attempt” to fade and weather the logos along with the rest of the car (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)John, I do have the car markings (lettering) ready to go so they will be added and weathered also.

John Caughey said:

John, are you suggesting just the initials on the car frame along with the other markings and no logo on the body itself? I am ok with that path too and do have the lettering for that.

There was a second part added…; “Also if the box was chopped or bashed to fit, the faded paint may only reveal a partial logo”

John Caughey said:

Dan Hilyer said:

John Caughey said:

There was a second part added…; “Also if the box was chopped or bashed to fit, the faded paint may only reveal a partial logo”

Gotcha. Thanks.

Diamond

Ok, here is the diamond logo and lettering before I start the weathering.

Hmm … I would just stencil the name on … or hand paint it.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Hmm … I would just stencil the name on … or hand paint it.

Sean, I can assure you, you don’t want me hand painting any lettering (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)That would look like a bulls a$$ tied up with a barb wire fence (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)