Large Scale Central

Kadee Couplers

I’m looking for new couplers for a few pieces of stock. So, for those who use Kadee couplers; who uses what and why?

John Wilda said:

I’m looking for new couplers for a few pieces of stock. So, for those who use Kadee couplers; who uses what and why?

I settled on #1 Gauge (1907) because I model 1:29 only and the “G” scale ones look huge to me. I have yet to have any problem as I have yet to lay any track outdoors (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

We might be able to help you better if you could elaborate on what you are wanting to do.

Do you want to convert to body mounting ? and what rolling stock are you wanting to convert ?

Fred Mills

I’m indoors and use #1’s exclusively. The engines are mostly the Bachmann geared ones (1:20.3) and the rolling stock are a melange of 1:20.3, 1:22.5, 1:25 and one 1:29. All couplers are body mounted, They operate flawlessly and stay coupled though there are no changes in elevation of the rails. I don’t do much operation or switching and the running is mostly “roundy round”.

I use 906 on rolling stock and 907 on engines. These are the G scale ones that look huge to Dan (I agree with him), but is what others in my club use. These are body-mounted, and the 906 has a draft gear (spring) so you get realistic slack action. On some engines, I use the 11220 automatic coupler, which is the same footprint as the 906, but replaces the draft gear with a servo to operate it.

The minimum radius for the 906 on most cars is about 48" because the wheels hit the side of the bod. I (and others) have designed a custom narrow box that I 3D print for mine to allow them to work on a little bit tighter radius.

Fred Mills. said:

We might be able to help you better if you could elaborate on what you are wanting to do.

Do you want to convert to body mounting ? and what rolling stock are you wanting to convert ?

Fred Mills

At the moment its the three boxcars I am working on: a Bachmann, a Charles Ro, and a Delton. I’m open for discussion on truck vs. body mount.

Eric, I see the servo is in the draft gearbox… thus no room for the standard “slack action”…

do you have a picture of the coupler out of the box, I would guess it no longer has the long loop but just a hole for the boss in the gearbox.

Thanks, Greg

I too have standardized on Kadee #1 couplers. I do coupler conversions for several people. I only do “Body Mounting”.

Body mounting is best if “Operations” are part of your future plans, and you are not limited to curves under 5 foot radius, and WIDE radius switches are a must.

As far as which coupler size to choose; it is up to you. If you go for the smaller size, please remember that your trackage must be well maintained and laid on a smoother, firm roadbed, as they do have less tolerance for staying coupled than the larger “G” scale ones.

If you do choose to convert to Kadees, it is best to start, before you accumulate too many pieces of rolling stock. Then your cost seem reasonable, as you don’t have to pay to convert a lot of cars all at once.

Fred Mills

To be helpful when Fred says “WIDE radius switches” I believe he means switches that are 10’ diameter equivalent in the diverging route.

That term was only used commercially with Aristo switches meeting that criteria.

It might be better to note the curvature through the switch as the criteria, and that LGB R3 is only 8’ diameter…

Personally I have no issues with a minimum of 8’ diameter and body mounts as long as you keep to 40’ and 50’ cars or shorter.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Do you have a picture of the coupler out of the box, I would guess it no longer has the long loop but just a hole for the boss in the gearbox.

I don’t have a loose one handy, but here’s a photo of one mounted on the F3. I’m not sure if this answers your question.

John Wilda said:

Fred Mills. said:

Fred Mills

At the moment its the three boxcars I am working on: a Bachmann, a Charles Ro, and a Delton. I’m open for discussion on truck vs. body mount.

By the looks of your avatar and these 3 cars, I assume you model steam era and “Larger” “G” scale. I would go with the 900 series then. I only body mount because it looks/feels better (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Eric, I wanted to see inside the box, the change to the coupler and how much room the servo takes.

Thanks, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Eric, I wanted to see inside the box, the change to the coupler and how much room the servo takes.

I understand now. The coupler itself is a 901. I believe the servo is this with the mounting ears removed: https://www.servocity.com/hs-45hb-servo

Eric Reuter said:

Greg Elmassian said:

I understand now. The coupler itself is a 901. I believe the servo is this with the mounting ears removed: https://www.servocity.com/hs-45hb-servo

The one on the left is my reverse engineered using $10 servo.

John Wilda said:

John,

Kadee is a great overall choice for a standard coupler on your locomotives/rolling stock. There are many choices after that if you decide on Kadee. As for specific manufactures couplers it’s all over the board as to what folks like/chose for couplers. What I can tell you is the only couplers that do not play nicely with anything is USA trains as they only play nicely with USA (however I love their products). As for the rest of the manufacturers most play nicely together along with Kadee .

I would add that you should ensure, regardless of the coupler that you standardize on, that you use a height gauge. This will ensure that all of your rolling stock’s couplers are aligned.

I use the #1929 Type “E” Coupler Height Gauge (Gauge #1)

KD makes a wide range of couplers in “G” and #1 scale, The G scale are basically for, well G scale the #1’s are made for 1/32 scale. They have a large selection of specialty couplers made for specific engines like Bachmann Shay or Bachmann Heisler in either scale.

As has been stated body mount is best for operation and they look right. As for Garden Railroading Urban Legend #21, Yes #1 couplers have a smaller face area so they are less tolerant of vertical differences in track work. I have ran them for over 20 years with no problems.

What are you modeling? Standard gauge, than use the G scale ones if they suit your eye. Narrow gauge? the #1 couplers are spot on scale wise (in 1:20 scale) for most narrow gauge couplers that were/are used in the real world. Most all Narrow gauge railroads used a 3/4 size coupler except Colorado, they used the full size ones.

If you decide to go with KD, no matter which size, buy their height gauge and use it!!! Standardize the coupler height on all your cars and locomotives, no matter what height you decide on, use it on all rolling stock no matter how much work it takes to convert. A few hours spent standardizing saves years of grief with poor operations.

Of course this is just my opinion, but opinions is what you asked for, right(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Rick

Thanks Dan, and the Kadee box points out they used the original style couplers for the size of the post for the coupler, the new AAR couplers have a larger hole and the very latest not only have a larger hole, but the 2 angled “facets” on one side of the hole.

I was alerted to this fact when using new 3d printed coupler boxes with a correctly sized post.

Greg

When making a choice; as observing many, many other’s experiences, no-mater if some manufacturers’ couplers may seem to work with others; I don’t think recommending “Mix and matching” is a good plan, in the search for frustration free operation of your rolling stock. I don’t think that promoting such practise, is in the best interest of people new to the hobby.

Others may have different opinions…

Fred Mills

John

It looks like you could go with body mounts… I didn’t see any r-1 switches .

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/leeds-hill-railroad-ii.311894/

Is it done yet ?