Large Scale Central

Dissassemble of LGB 21881 Uintah Loco

I’m installing a DCC/DC Power/Sound decoder into subject locomotive and have dissassembled it. I did the same thing on another Uintah a couple years ago so I have experience with the dissassembly and reassembly…and they are a pain with all the very small screws, especially the two long screws hidden half way down the sides of the boiler. But this time I’m also installing a backup light fixture on the roof of the engineer’s cab, so I want to unsolder the the wires to the rear power outlet and use them for the backup light. The electrical connection to this outlet are under the coal bin, between that wall and the cab’s back wall. However, I can’t figure how to get the back wall of the engineer’s cab to come apart…see photo. Anybody have experience taking the cab apart without breaking it…I have the LGB Parts Diagram but these don’t show how to disconnect the various parts.

UPDATE 1-16-2019: Okay, right after I posted this message I fiddled with the engineer’s cab some more. Figured out how to do it…all pressure & leverage. First, need to wedge open the two doors of the cab…I used a long pencil through both doors…this clears the doors from the frame when the rear panel is pulled out. Next, place a wedge such as a small screw driver between the coal load and the backside of the cab. Then on the bottom rear of the cab, there’s a plastic notch protruding, push on it to release the notch, and presto, that releases the cab’s interiror rear panel with the cab light that’s behind the engineer. Most folks don’t need to disassemble the engineer’s cab, but I’m installing a Massoth DC/DCC power/sound decoder into this Uintah I sold on eBay, and my customer wants a backup light added to the decoder install. So I needed to access the cavity space under the coal load so I could disconnect the wires to the loco’s rear light outlet, and then run the new backup light wires through the drilled hole in the roof, then down to the cab interior light fixture on the back panel…I flowed the new set of wires through the panel there.