Large Scale Central

Aristocraft 3-axle motor block rework

I’m using battery power for several Dash 9’s and E8’s. In search of minimizing electrical losses and maintenance thereof, all of the Aristo power distribution stuff in the drives has been removed in one pair of trucks thus far. I’m soldering wires to the motor tabs and then on directly to the decoder. Also removed springs/ball bearings in the gear boxes. Anybody done this? Any thoughts? What about allowing the motors to float verses being hard connected? Tracking/operating concerns?

Michael

let them float that’s the original design, geartrains should be quieter as they self align.

Michael

I have removed the ball and spring and don’t regret it. In fact one of the balls was flat-spotted, would have made a grove in the axle and it was new.

cheers Richard

Michael.

If you are using track power, remove in turn the six screws that hold either axle side to each central gear.

In their wisdom AC put them in the same holes and if tightened too much, could short out either side of the pick ups.

Shorten, as in grind a smidgen off the end of each screw so they cannot touch, before replacing and doing them up tight.

I too agree with Greg to let the motors “float”. Although I did insert light padding either side to “help” the motors find a rotational balance.

Replace the plastic hex drives with metal ones. The plastic ones wear out rapidly.

By the way, if the power pickup balls are damaged, that means that the owner is not putting oil on the axle shafts, a required maintenance item…

long term result:

Greg

I use 90 wt synthetic gear oil by Mobil One for this task. “A little dab’ll do ya.” I’ve got enough to last several lifetimes.

Yep, that synthetic stuff is a bit more “clingy” just what you want.

Greg

Thanks for your input gentlemen. Sounds like its all good and should present itself as trouble free, no maintenance improvement and or work around for battery powered applications.

Tony suggested replacing the plastic hex materials used on the early released drives, I haven’t found any of these on the Dash 9’s and E8 drives I’ve disassembled. I suspect (when I eventually get there) some of my SD45’s will present the need to find replacement hex drive stock. What have ya’ll done herein for brass replacement hex stock?

Michael

The plastic hex drives are REALLY old… I have only seen them in pictures.

Greg