Large Scale Central

New modules for NHGRS

I know I’ve been quiet lately. Since it’s too cold to work outside, I’ve been working on a set of 8 new modules for the bit club layout that goes to Springfield and ECLSTS. The goal is to add some operational opportunities to the layout, which is currently just a round and round deal.

In the first photo below, the two parallel tracks on the left edge are the ones that are common to all modules. This is an inside curve. The spectators will be where the couch is. On the far right is an industrial track that will have industries along the backdrop with switching opportunities. The yard consists of inbound and outbound tracks. The near end of the industrial track will be overflow/storage The yard track that’s on its own on the left side is for engines. It will have coaling and water. The third track that curves off to the right in the foreground of the curve lines up with the yard lead for the big club yard.

The operational concept is that a road job stops and drops cars. A local switcher will move them to the yard and then switch the industries. That switcher might also handle a local.

Ok, got to put the furniture back before my wife gets home.

Eric

Cool Eric. Now put the furniture back where it belongs! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Nice track work, Eric. Can you give us some since of size?

The straight sections total about 21’. The standard module length is 1200 mm, which is a little under 4’. The modules for the curve are odd shapes to make the switches fit within modules.

The drawing below shows 6 of the 8. The missing two are straight modules at the bottom. Dimensions are in inches.

Thanks for the info and drawing, Eric

Hoping to see it at the Springfield show!

I will be checking in …

Looks good how are you going to run all of those switches?

cheers Richard

I’m planning to use servos and Tam Valley controllers.

Eric Reuter said:

I’m planning to use servos and Tam Valley controllers.

Richard … did you really have to ask … it’s Eric … ( He was too good for " The big bang theory " )

Eric what will use to control them airwire or push button? Also is this for track and battery and DCC or just Battery?

cheers Richard

I’m going to use pushbuttons on the back edge of the modules. That way, anyone can operate it.

The two tracks that are common to the other modules will carry track power for those who need it. The yard tracks will be dead.

A couple of not-so-bright questions, Eric, if I may.

Code 332 brass or other? Why brass and not the cheaper aluminum (or other)? Who makes the track and switches? #6 switches all around (same brand as the rest of the track?)

How do you hold the heavy sections together and how are you going to hoist them off the ground?

An SP GP-9 will look great as a switcher. An SP NW-2 will look even better! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

It’s all code 332 brass. The track is AML flex and the switches are all LGB 18x50. It never occurred to me to use anything other than brass. It’s easy to work with, solders nicely, etc., and the rest of the layout is brass.

The sections are held together with clamps and there are fittings on the bottom for 1" PVC legs. There are still a couple of people who need track power, so the modules are wired together with trailer connectors. We use joiners between the modules to keep the tracks aligned, but they aren’t reliable enough to carry power.

Here are a couple of photos showing all this:

Outstanding work!! Do you have adjusters on the feet ? Also I have a 38 and 9 MC that worked together out of south Portland that would look good on there.

cheers Richard

Richard,

You can see the “adjusters” in this photo if you look hard.

What is the fitting for the legs to the modules?

I got both the mounts and the caps from this place: https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-pvc-table-cap-with-screw-tabs-furniture-grade.html

Hopefully whoever is switching the yard doesn’t need track power, iffn he yard tracks are dead.

Ats lookin good.