Large Scale Central

LGB Sumter Valley 2-6-6-2 Steam Engine

OK, so, were these type steam engines all narrow gauge logging trains or were some used on standard gauge railroads of the time period to pull say coal trains or mixed freights. I know it’s my railroad and I can pull what ever I want with what ever I want, but would this locomotive look proto typical being renamed for an eastern R/R and used to pull coal trains.

Randy you are asking a hard question There were only two 2-6-6-2 made for the Uintah railway no.50 and 51 they were both sold to the Sumter But like you said it’s your railroad I would think that where ever you see a shay they would be good and I like the sound of a coal train.

Richard

I seen a photo of a 2-6-6-2 Main Central R/R Locomotive that looked similar. Would think the Main Central was Standard Gauge.

https://sites.google.com/site/mainecentralrailroad/_/rsrc/1373903409412/home/2-6-0-type/2-8-0-type/2-8-2-type/2-10-2-type/2-6-6-2-type/IMG_0004-001.jpg

Yes the Maine did have 4 of them used in the Crawford Notch NH they got them from the Boston and Maine who had Alco Schenectady NY Build them

for use in the Hoosac Tunnel about 15 miles from me and yes they are standard gauge.

Richard

OK, so someday, maybe I can find one of these locos at a reasonable price and being an old coal miner from WV, I’ll rename it for the "Buffalo Creek and Gauley Railroad". Should look great pulling a string of black 2 bay coal cars.

Yes, that wheel arrangement was used on Standard gauge railroads here in the “east” to haul coal over the mountains we have. The standard gauge ones looked a bit beefier, and had tenders, but if you hold your head just right and squint a little…

And yea, I subscribe to the "its my railroad and I will do whatever I like.

Weyerhaeurser Timber Company was Standard Ga.

Randy Stone said:

OK, so someday, maybe I can find one of these locos at a reasonable price and being an old coal miner from WV, I’ll rename it for the "Buffalo Creek and Gauley Railroad". Should look great pulling a string of black 2 bay coal cars.

Then there will be two members on here who model that road. I’m not one of them though(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

One went for $760 at an auction last night

Jerry

Jerry Bohlander said:

One went for $760 at an auction last night

Jerry

Hi Jerry

That’s more in my price range. There is one listed on ebay for $900.00 as is. No guarantee it even runs and No returns. $900.00 is too much for a pig in a poke for me.

Guys, It’s SUMPTER not sumter. I have the 250 and 251. The 251 is very close to the full scale one but the 250 is not. I kit-bashed the 250 so it is more like the 1 to 1 engine.

James

Here’s mine in action. She has since been re-lettered and weathered. I think it would look good hauling coal hoppers. (I have a bunch of them, I’ll try it in the spring.)

James Kuhns said:

Guys, It’s SUMPTER not sumter. I have the 250 and 251. The 251 is very close to the full scale one but the 250 is not. I kit-bashed the 250 so it is more like the 1 to 1 engine.

James

James can I ask what you found different between the 250 and the 251

Richard

If your after pictures of the 250 there are some very good views in this video

Rick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Br7QM8pFs

Randy Stone said:

OK, so, were these type steam engines all narrow gauge logging trains or were some used on standard gauge railroads of the time period to pull say coal trains or mixed freights. I know it’s my railroad and I can pull what ever I want with what ever I want, but would this locomotive look proto typical being renamed for an eastern R/R and used to pull coal trains.

The Sierra RR had a standard gauge 2-6-6-2. There is one in the museum in Campo Ca.

Richard

The main things that are different. 1. The exhaust pipe from the dynamo. 2. The hand rails in front of the smoke box above the front trucks. 3. The piping on the engine mostly below the walkways. There maybe other things that I don’t remember, it has been many years since I did this work. LGB did get the lettering style near perfect. The 250 graphics were different from the 251.

James