Large Scale Central

New Climax. Better than old version?

I have an older version Bachmann Climax and it is a great little engine. Lately I have been watching a second generation Climax from Anakramer on Ebay with factory sound for $319 plus shipping. My Climax does not have sound so I am thinking about buying the new one and then selling my older version. Were there any improvements made to the latest generation? Is it the same as the older one?

Would it be worth it to buy the new one and sell my old one? What is a good price for the older Climax with box? I’m thinking $150- $200. Thanks.

Todd, PM sent.

Hopefully Stan Ames pops in as he would know!

How good is the factory sound?

What control system do you use?

Do you want all the bells and whistles or would magnets be acceptable triggers?

Well…

Todd Haskins said:

I have an older version Bachmann Climax and it is a great little engine. Lately I have been watching a second generation Climax from Anakramer on Ebay with factory sound for $319 plus shipping. My Climax does not have sound so I am thinking about buying the new one and then selling my older version. Were there any improvements made to the latest generation? Is it the same as the older one?

Would it be worth it to buy the new one and sell my old one? What is a good price for the older Climax with box? I’m thinking $150- $200. Thanks.

The newer version has the plug and play board, as well as metal gears. Here is the LSOL video describing the newer version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtX_8vZKXAg

I remember when AnaKramer was selling them for $225 a couple summers ago. I never bought one then :frowning:

Oops**.** Double post.

Thanks for that video link Joe now I want one and I am kicking myself a bit considering that Ebay sent me a 15% off coupon that I could have used to save about $40. I am going to keep my eye out for one of these new Climax’s. it looks like Bachmann has done a terrific job on the rebuild. Geez $225 that is a great price for one.

Thanks guys.

https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/14374/bachmann-s-new-or-improved-climax