Large Scale Central

Check Walmart etc. for closout Dwarf Alberta Spruce

1 Gallon for $5 in Danbury. 2 Gallon for a bit more, $12 I think. I bought 6 of the 1 gallon to replace a few that have died and add a few.

Check your local listings

Guess I need to CHECK my titles before hitting Post.

At least you didn’t start with the “S” Or the “F”bomb, but yeah it would be nice to be able to adjust the title of a post if you get it wrong

I think Cliff stole it to use on my thread…

You need to write Bob to ask him to fix it, other wise it rides.

Atually, Mr Kaughey, I’m now stokpiling those digital sees, due to the impending global shortage of them… Kan’t be too kareful. Jon’s just doing the same thing, I expekt.

And thanks Jon, I’ll sure be hecking out those sprushes.

:wink:

This week Home Depot is running a similar sale on the dwarf Alberta Spruce. $5 for the 1 gal and $10 for the 2 gal. The wife was complaining about wanting a live tree for Christmas this year, so I picked up a couple 2 gal, and lit them up with battery operated lights.

What the heck! The challenge for me is keeping them alive until spring. I have a nice spot set up in the large west facing window in my basement / train room right behind a sink. It should be easy to remember to water them, but I’m not good at routine. I’ve nearly killed other plants that have wintered there by drying them out.

Jon, have you tried this variety yet?

Picea glauca JEAN’S DILLY

I have a couple of these planted by the old layout that I haven’t gotten around to transplanting yet. . They’re a bit more expensive, but I think they look more to scale.

Jon Radder said:

What the heck! The challenge for me is keeping them alive until spring. I have a nice spot set up in the large west facing window in my basement / train room right behind a sink. It should be easy to remember to water them, but I’m not good at routine. I’ve nearly killed other plants that have wintered there by drying them out.

I put ours in a spot where we pass several times a day, the container sits in a pie tin. If the pie tin is dry, we add a little water.

Mike Wlez said:

Jon Radder said:

I put ours in a spot where we pass several times a day, the container sits in a pie tin. If the pie tin is dry, we add a little water.

If I did that , I have a dog that would water them for me… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

Sean said:

If I did that , I have a dog that would water them for me… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

Mine would do the same… a half hour after licking the pie tin dry. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

But nice find Jon. I couldn’t find any locally, but good luck and have fun with yours.

My wife pointed out to me all the new sprouts on the tree today. They are an inch to an inch and a half long all the way around the tree.

I think the poor guy is dying. It’s still sucking up water that we put in the pan, but the new sprouts I bragged about a month ago are all drooping, and the wife says the needles are stating to drop. Might be the temperature extremes in the kitchen, i.e., boiling water, baking. She said she touched the planter the other day and a bunch of needles fell.

I told her as long as the new sprouts are still light green, and have not turned brown yet, I think we might be able to save it. If the weather breaks in the next couple weeks, where we start getting 40 degree temps, I may try to harden it outside.

You might not be watering it properly. Check out the guidance provided by these sites.

Around here other than water, the other problem with Dwarf Alberta’s is what they call ““spider mites””… We spray all ours for it but all ours are outside…

So far mine are doing OK. I’ve been working in the basement almost every evening since Christmas so they get some heat and watering every few days. They are dropping some needles, but not bad. A few have new growth. I’ve never had great long term success with them.

Jon, We’ve had some outside on the layout now since 2006… We lose one every now and then… Course, I’d tell you how many we got, but I can’t count that high…

We stunt their height growth, but some of the trunks are now about 4 inches in diameter…

My trees need a good clipping…Image result for edward scissorhands

The ones I have outside have a nice bed of dropped needles underneath them. As long as the branches are pliable, and the outer part of the tree has green needles, its still alive. When a branch dies, it becomes stiff.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

My trees need a good clipping…Image result for edward scissorhands

I might be able to arrange a case of Guinness if Sean Scisorhands would like to make a visit to trim trees, run trains and drink beer this summer (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)