Large Scale Central

using articles

I have taken over publishing our club newsletter.

Can I use some of your articles and pictures as long as I give credit to Large Scale Central and the author?

Doug Arnold said:

I have taken over publishing our club newsletter.

Can I use some of your articles and pictures as long as I give credit to Large Scale Central and the author?

OK by me…others…heh, who knows? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Hey, someone on here may become famous. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Well, at the very least, in print.

Help yourself…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

David Maynard said:

Hey, someone on here may become famous. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Well, at the very least, in print.

Wait, I’m not famous? Oh…so infamous is different??? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

If it strikes your fancy, but I want 20% of the gross produced(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Doug, you used the phrase “your articles”…

is “your” in reference to Bob McCowan, or is it in reference to the individuals who made articles?

According to the USE part of the site license:

1. Use License

Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on Large Scale Central’s web site for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
modify or copy the materials;
use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on Large Scale Central’s web site;
remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by Large Scale Central at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.

Since these “materials” you see here are part of the site, I think you need to ask Bob’s permission… also I believe that you do NOT have to ask the permission of anyone else for anything posted here… (but it would be nice to do).

I strongly urge you to communicate with Bob.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Doug, you used the phrase “your articles”…

is “your” in reference to Bob McCowan, or is it in reference to the individuals who made articles?

According to the USE part of the site license:

1. Use License

Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on Large Scale Central’s web site for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on Large Scale Central’s web site;
remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by Large Scale Central at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.

Since these “materials” you see here are part of the site, I think you need to ask Bob’s permission… also I believe that you do NOT have to ask the permission of anyone else for anything posted here… (but it would be nice to do).

I strongly urge you to communicate with Bob.

Greg

Can you give the technical licensing crap a break for once Greg?

The useless technical crap has already confused many of the elder posters like the HTTP to HTTPS which you pushed for still baffles folks. It’s not like YOU haven’t broken any licensing agreements with your amazing website?

Besides I have no Articles here anyway and BTW it’s McCown.

Good luck with the new venture Doug !

So, what is your advice, ignore Bob’s rules? (those are his rules) Don’t bother a courtesy call/email first to Bob?

Don’t even try to pay any respect to our benevolent dictator?

That’s great advice…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

So, what is your advice, ignore Bob’s rules? (those are his rules) Don’t bother a courtesy call/email first to Bob?

Don’t even try to pay any respect to our benevolent dictator?

That’s great advice…

Greg

Greg,

1…So, what is your advice, ignore Bob’s rules? (those are his rules) Don’t bother a courtesy call/email first to Bob?

Answer> In no way did I advise to ignore BD’s rules as under the agreement you posted it appears to me that Doug can certainly use the “Articles” section for his “Model RR Club” newsletter as he is only promoting the hobby and seems most of the “LSC Article” posters were ok with that.

2…Don’t even try to pay any respect to our benevolent dictator?

Answer> Have you looked at “YOUR” signature lately? Is it “respectful” to direct others from LSC to “YOUR WEBSITE” ?

3… Yes I read it twice and it is GREAT ADVICE

Merry Christmas my friend!

Rooz

perhaps a good New Years resolution suggestion would be to quit contradiction?

" Rooster " said:

…Doug can certainly use the “Articles” section for his “Model RR Club” newsletter as he is only promoting the hobby and seems most of the “LSC Article” posters were ok with that.

Greg Elmassian said:

The word “personal” and the phrase "you may not modify or copy the materials; use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial) Leads me to believe that he cannot without violating the rules. I think he should talk to Bob. Maybe Bob would grant him a special licensee since his venture is non commercial, and simply to promote the hobby.

Thanks David, simple English, right…

Also Rooster, how is giving a link to my site, which is not a forum, disrespectful to Bob?

Rooster, don’t you have anything better to do? If you want to take digs at me, at least post ones that make sense, then at least it will be more of a challenge to fight with you, instead of childish junk not befitting a person of your experience and age.

Greg

Wally, Beaver, can’t you get along? It is the Christmas Season.

Greg Elmassian said:

Also Rooster, how is giving a link to my site, which is not a forum, disrespectful to Bob?

Rooster, don’t you have anything better to do? If you want to take digs at me, at least post ones that make sense, then at least it will be more of a challenge to fight with you, instead of childish junk not befitting a person of your experience and age.

Greg

Greg,

I have plenty of things to do how about yourself? I fight with no one only stating facts here as you prefer.

Once again

Merry Christmas Greg

David Maynard said:

" Rooster " said:

…Doug can certainly use the “Articles” section for his “Model RR Club” newsletter as he is only promoting the hobby and seems most of the “LSC Article” posters were ok with that.

Greg Elmassian said:

The word “personal” and the phrase "you may not modify or copy the materials; use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial) Leads me to believe that he cannot without violating the rules. I think he should talk to Bob. Maybe Bob would grant him a special licensee since his venture is non commercial, and simply to promote the hobby.

Might I venture that the person who wrote the article before posting it actually is the owner; that is unless ownership is transferred by posting.

If someone asked the author of the article for permission to use it in a newsletter then that is their prerogative to grant or deny permission; after all they are the actual owner

A simple PM to the author asking for a copy and permission to distribute would suffice, as the copy would not come from the forum but from the author. In fact I just did exactly that on another forum just the other day, a person PM’d me and I sent the document to him directly.

From my point of view the forum is only hosting the article for all to view; this is exactly the same situation that I have at work where I manage an Online Library of technical manuals but do not own the IP and only host the material for 3rd parties to view and use.

On a personal note if I post something on here and it is distributed far and wide I would not be worried in the slightest, especially if it was helping a fellow modeler, actually I would be a little flattered.

If I remember correctly, LSOL got in trouble trying to copyright members contributions… I don’t think Benevolent Bob is of that ilk.

Graeme, I would be flattered and happy to help too.

That whole situation with LSOL never was explained to a level where I understood. Everyone’s account tends to differ in what all happened.

I have hesitated to repost any of the articles that wrote for LSOL here on LSC. They should be my property, since I wrote them and I didn’t receive any compensation for them, in other words, I did not sell the rights.

David Maynard said:

Graeme, I would be flattered and happy to help too.

That whole situation with LSOL never was explained to a level where I understood. Everyone’s account tends to differ in what all happened.

I have hesitated to repost any of the articles that wrote for LSOL here on LSC. They should be my property, since I wrote them and I didn’t receive any compensation for them, in other words, I did not sell the rights.

I rest my case

David Maynard said:

" Rooster " said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Perhaps you and Greg can sort this out.

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg

You and Maynard have some things to sort out. He could PM you but you do not allow that.