Large Scale Central

Got me a Regner Stainz(SKGLB #1 version)

Just bought this one off the past editor of Garden Railways magazine. Kit built by him with very little run time, he says she is quite stiff yet. Manual control, full Allen valve gear and cylinder drain cocks. Manual control right now, but will get full RC control of throttle, valve gear, drain cocks and a Regner whistle kit I plan to purchase and add to the model. I will also probably respray the cab green to look more like my LGB Stainz engines, but wont decide that till the model arrives later this week. The actual Stainz #2 is quite hard to come by, only 200 of each style were made and one of the Regner U series 0-6-2T’s is next on the list. I also swapped my RH Bertie for a nice Regner Konrad to give me something slower to run on my exhisting railway that doesnt jack up my anxiety like a manual control side rod engine can do. Mike the Aspie.

Congrats Mike. Best of luck with it. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Wow. Someday, I’d like to see live steam on the Triple O! Congrats on the buy!

Very nice,enjoy.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

No new pics of video yet, doing some running in on my bench. First run on the rolling road yielded several stalls needing a nudge to the motion to get her going again. Second run on just blocks went better. Very stiff, just as Marc said she was. I really opened up the oiler, way to much in fact, on the second run and all oil was consumed by the time the water dropped to the bottom of the glass. So I closed it down and reopened 3/4 of a turn and will try that. These adjustable Regner oilers are a bit trial and error getting the feed rate spot on. After cooling down, I made up a chuff pipe to fit over the stock pipe that liked to shoot oily water straight up the chimney. That should help keep things a bit cleaner. I also added painted the trim rings on the lanterns gold and silvered the reflectors. I will order some items from Regner soon as they have the correct size, heat resistant lamps for this model in thier webstore. The front lantern gets quite hot, so I will just use what they have already set up to deal with the heat. The engine is about the same size as the Roundhouse Billy, but much higher level of detail with the cab and frame of cast brass, along with the boiler. Some do not care for brass boiler. However Regner, along with WYKO and Reppengen all use stablized brass for thier boilers. And all of those are well respected builders and model prices rival many Asters. What brass doesnt tollerate well is being run dry as well as a copper one can. So, as you will notice, all Regners have a sight glass including the lower end Easy Line models. Boilers should be drained and allowed to dry on long term storage models. I run on a regular basis and know to watch the sight glass when running, so no worries here. I should have some new pics of her and a short video today. My new Konrad that replaced my Roundhouse Bertie will be here today, so more fun today! Mike the Aspie

Did a short test run today, she is getting better very slowly, not a real good self starter yet. Wish i had the assembly manual so I could check timing of the eccentrics, they are mounted to an arm sort of like Walschaerts motion. I am wondering if its a tad off. I did relap the slide valves as there was some blow by, that is gone now. Adjusted the lifting link so the motion isnt “held” tight against the ends of the slot, that alone freed up some of the bind that is acted like it had when running. Now if she would self start at lower throttle settings, takes quite a bit of throttle or a nudge when on the rail or the rolling road.

Nice to see this beautiful engine is in good hands!