Large Scale Central

New Blight engine revamp

Been slowly working on going thru my collection to sort the good from the bad, deciding that the bad must be made good or at least look better. So I have been reworking some 1/22.5ish Scientific/EZ-TEC engines to Bachmann couplers and adding some subtle details to make them less toylike. But I also have some New Blight stuff. So…taking one of the 1/32-ish New Blight engines I have gathered in the last couple years I decided to see if I could kitbash it into something that would work alongside my other 1/22.5 scale items. This utilizes a spare Bachmann cab and sheet styrene stock, overall I am pleasantly surprised by its final appearance. Kinda of a stocky little Porter theme going on. I have I think two other New Blighters I can eventually modify if I chose to update them. So far plan to keep them as spares.

PS I finally got access to a Desktop

Lipstick!

Nice job, I won a similar treasure from Dave a couple of years ago. Runs a lot better without the leading truck/wheels and sometimes will decide on it’s own which way it will go over a switch, the points be dam…'d

Sometimes it’s fun to throw 6 C bats in her and let it run as I ponder …

I can’t post from my phone either.

John, thanks for the reminder to add a lead wt to the pilot :wink:

sort of like rags to riches, nice job, Bill

I got a chuckle out your particular spelling for “New Bright”.

Doing a second New Blight loco this weekend, this one has the trailing wheel version so it’s a mini-mogul Porter

Vic;

I hate to correct you, BUT;

A mogul has a 2-6-0 wheel arrangement, and could have been built by various manufacturers, including “Porter”

If your locomotive has a “Trailing Truck” making it a locomotive with a 2-6-2 wheel arrangement, it would be a “Prairie” locomotive, no-mater what manufacturer constructed it, including Porter.

The wheel arrangement determines the locomotive type name, no-mater how small it is, or who the manufacturer is/was.

There were some cases where different railroad companies named certain locomotives, with different type names, such as; the CPR called their “Texas” types, Selkirks…

I hope this is of some interest, Vick…Happy and Healthy New Year 2019 to you.

Fred Mills

Just a suggestion…

If your “Pilot” wheels (Lead truck) are derailing; YES a bit of weight may help, but be durned sure to check the back-to-back wheel gauge, to make sure it is dead on.

The old Aristo track/wheel gauge is one thing every LS modeler should have if they are using #1 gauge track.

Fred Mills

No problem Fred (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Photos, this time before painting so you can see some of the construction ideas.