Large Scale Central

Laser cut custom lettering

Hello,

I got asked a few times, how I custom letter my garden railroad trains. So here’s a short description of the technique I use. The last days, I finished my rolling stock for the “Southern Palatinate Narrow Gauge Railway”. I use CorelDraw and a stencil-type font to create the text I need. In my case, I use font “Stardos Stecil”. From this CorelDraw-file, I export a DXF while I convert all text into curves.

My dad bought a laser cutter some while ago for thin materials. He converts the DXF-file for the laser and cuts the stencils from thin cardboard.

These stencils are cut to size, taped to the model the letters are sprayed on with the airbrush.

Use many soft layers to avoid bubbles of paint, which might sneak under the stencil.

Once done, remove the stencils immediately and let the paint dry. If you handle the stencils carefully, they can be reused several times.

Here’s another example of a re-lettered AMS-coach.

I use CorelDraw as well to create the homemade stickers. These are printed on a usual laser printer to self-adhesive white sticker foil. Once cut to out, I blacken the edges with a marker pen and glue them to the models. I used such stickers also to letter the locomotives.

BTW, I use the same stencil-technique on my 2″-scale trains, but I use cnc-milled stencil from 1mm styrene instead.

Bye, Gerd

Gerd. Awesome. Thanks for letting us know. I’d love to get ahold of some with Rio Grande Southern and Colorado Southern for 1:20.3.

Jason

Jason V. said:

Gerd. Awesome. Thanks for letting us know. I’d love to get ahold of some with Rio Grande Southern and Colorado Southern for 1:20.3.

Jason

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/custom-lettering.html#/

Hi John,

good link. Unfortunately, most of such effors are not available for me in Germany and shipping/tax steals a lot of budget when ordering in oversea.

There are decal printing services and those for dry transfers available here as sell, but they are costy compared to the way i used. A few dollars for the sticker foil, the paper stencils are free of charge for me.

Gerd

Gerd, I wasn’t suggesting that you use Del’s service, I put it up for Jason who wanted what you have…

Yes. Thats how I read it too. Thanks John and Gerd for the good idea’s

Jason

Yes. Thats how I read it too. Thanks John and Gerd for the good idea’s

Jason

Hi John,

all is fine :wink: I understood it the same way.

Gerd